At least 23 people have been killed in a fire at a popular nightclub in the Indian resort city of Goa.
Several tourists were among the dead after a blaze broke at the Birch club in Arpora in the North Goa district at around midnight on Saturday.
The fire has since been brought under control and all bodies have been recovered after rescue operations stretched into the early hours of Sunday morning.
While the source and cause of the inferno are yet to be ascertained, it is suspected to have been started by a gas cylinder blast, local media reported quoting police officials.
‘Today is a very painful day for all of us in Goa. A major fire incident at Arpora has taken the lives of 23 people,’ chief minister Pramod Sawant wrote on X.
‘I visited the incident site and have ordered an inquiry into this incident,’ he said, adding: ‘Those found responsible will face most stringent action under the law – any negligence will be dealt with firmly.’
Sawant told journalists at the scene that ‘three to four’ tourists had died. Three people died from burn injuries, while the others died from suffocation, he said.
Goa’s director general of police Alok Kumar added that most of the bodies were found in the kitchen area, ‘suggesting that the victims were employed at the club’.

+2
View gallery
A fire at the Birch club in Arpora in the North Goa district broke out at around midnight on Saturday

+2
View gallery
Huge plumes of smoke can be seen rising from the blaze, which claimed the lives of least 23 people
‘So far, 23 casualties have been reported. The fire occurred around midnight. It has now been brought under control,’ Mr Kumar told the Indian Express.
‘The fire was mainly concentrated around the kitchen area on the ground floor. The source and cause of the fire are yet to be ascertained.
‘Teams are engaged in rescue and evacuation. Maximum bodies were retrieved from the kitchen area, suggesting that the victims were employed at the club. Two bodies have been found on the staircase.’
Goa, a former Portuguese colony on the shores of the Arabian Sea, lures millions of tourists every year with its nightlife, sandy beaches and laid-back coastal atmosphere.
About 5.5 million tourists visited Goa in the first half of the year, as per government data. Of these 271,000 were international tourists.
News
DETECTIVES ARE EXAMINING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLOSELY… — TRIPLE D-E-A-TH TRAGEDY IN CAMPBELLTOWN TAKES SHOCKING TURN AS MAN KNOWN TO VICTIMS DETAINED
Three people including two young children are dead and a man is in custody after police were called to a “particularly violent crime scene” that has stunned the local community. The bodies were discovered in different rooms of the property…
PARENTS WERE RIGHT THERE… — WEEKEND NETBALL MATCH DESCENDS INTO SH0CK AFTER ALLEGED CONFRONTATION BETWEEN TEENS
Vision has emerged of a gang of teenage e-bike riders at a weekend sports event viciously attacking a 12-year-old boy. One girl, aged 14, was seen kicking and punching the young boy at John Fisher Park in North Curl Curl, north Sydney, on Saturday….
POLICE ARE NOW PIECING TOGETHER THE FINAL HOURS… — THREE PEOPLE FOUND D-E-A-D INSIDE Campbelltown HOME AS INVESTIGATORS REVEAL EARLY DETAILS
A woman and two children have been killed in a suspected domestic violence attack. Their bodies were found by police at a home on Raymond Ave in Campbelltown, southwest Sydney, about 7.50pm on Monday. A triple-zero had been made from inside the house. A…
THEY WERE FOUND IN THE DEEPEST PART OF THE CAVE… — ELITE RESCUERS MAKE HEARTBREAKING DISCOVERY DAYS AFTER MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY
Elite Finnish divers have located the bodies of a team of Italians four days after they disappeared in sea caves in the Maldives. Tragedy struck on Thursday after five – including a mother and daughter – died while attempting to explore…
NETFLIX SH0CKER: ICONIC FRENCH DRAMA RETURNS AFTER 5 YEARS — FANS CALL IT A “MASTERPIECE COMEBACK
Netflix users, this is not a drill! The highly-acclaimed French comedy-drama, Call My Agent!, is returning to screens five years after its final episode. The series, which first premiered in 2015, is returning to the platform as a feature film this autumn,…
BBC VIEWERS ARE LOSING SLEEP OVER THIS HIDDEN DETECTIVE GEM — A RETIRED STAR + A BRILLIANT DETECTIVE = THE TV OBSESSION NOBODY SAW COMING
The BBC’s cosy mystery drama, Death Valley, returned on Sunday night with its anticipated second season, and viewers can’t get enough of the new episodes. The series follows the unlikely crime solving duo: retired actor John Chapel and eager Welsh detective…
End of content
No more pages to load