A survivor of a deadly bus crash which killed a young tourist has claimed the driver warned passengers the vehicle was “not the best one” before it allegedly began moving erratically and rolled off the road.
Chilean tourist Barbara Goncalves told 7NEWS exclusively passengers felt unsafe for much of the journey, alleging the coach braked harshly and drifted between lanes before the crash.
A charter bus travelling from Cairns to Airlie Beach with 29 people on board left the Bruce Hwy at Gumlu, north of Bowen, about 4pm on Thursday.
The bus rolled onto its side on a creek embankment, killing 26-year-old Argentine-Italian tourist Serena Andreatta and injuring every other passenger onboard.
Goncalves and her partner Hernan had spent weeks travelling through Japan before the crash.


Videos and photos shared with 7NEWS show the couple admiring Mt Fuji, visiting shrines and riding the bullet train before flying to Queensland for the final leg of their journey to Hamilton Island.
Goncalves claimed the driver made concerning comments about the vehicle hours before the crash.
“He told me this bus is not the best one,” she said.
“But (he said) ‘it’s OK. It’s going to be OK’.”
“We felt unsafe most of the way.
“We had this feeling that something was going to happen.
“Now I regret. I should’ve said something to him.”


Queensland Police previously said all passengers onboard were tourists visiting the Whitsundays region, with the majority from overseas.
“It’s horrible because we are far from our family,” Goncalves said through tears.
“We don’t have any support here, so it’s hard.”
Speaking about fellow passengers after the crash, Goncalves said: “You could see how sad they were. How alone they felt.”
Two passengers were initially fighting for life, but survivors are now in stable conditions.
“It was a very complex incident, a very serious incident,” Mackay Whitsunday Superintendent Dean Cavanagh said on Friday.
“A lady has lost her life, it’s a real tragedy.”
FlixBus, the company whose platform listed the coach service, said safety was “the highest priority” and the company “goes beyond legal requirements”.
The company said it thoroughly trains drivers, monitors rest times and enforces strict standards.
Queensland Premier David Crisafulli has promised “a thorough, independent and detailed assessment as to what went wrong”.
SOURCE: https://7news.com.au/news/gumlu-bus-crash-tourist-injured-in-deadly-accident-claims-driver-warned-passengers-vehicle-was-not-the-best-c-22300741
News
PLEASE DON’T LET MY SON D-I-E FOR NOTHING… — HEARTBROKEN MUM’S EMOTIONAL PLEA AFTER 14-YEAR-OLD D-I-E-S IN VIC CRASH LEAVES AUSTRALIA IN TEARS
A heartbroken mother has issued a sobering plea to young criminals after her 14-year-old son was killed in a stolen car crash in Victoria. Chereeta Wightman is desperate for the death of her son Connroy to not be in vain…
THAT’S A BIG SHARK, MAN… — CHILLING NEW SIGHTING OFF Rottnest Island DAYS AFTER THE DE-ATH OF Steven Mattaboni LEAVES BOATERS STUNNED
Terrified fishermen have filmed the moment a five-metre-long great white shark menaced their small boat just off the coast of Rottnest Island shortly after the fatal attack on a devoted dad-of-two. Steven Mattaboni, 38, died on Saturday morning after being…
“10 SH00TINGS. 2 TEENS ARRESTED. ONE SUSPECT STILL MISSING” — AUSTIN POLICE ISSUE URGENT UPDATE AS CITYWIDE INVESTIGATION EXPANDS
Authorities in Texas have arrested two of the three suspects in a series of shootings that took place across Austin over the weekend, leaving four people injured. Austin Police Department Chief Lisa Davis said during a press conference on Sunday, May 17,…
DON’T REDUCE HIM TO HIS WORST MOMENTS… — GRIEVING FAMILY DEFENDS TEEN K-I-L-L-ED IN H0RR0R CRASH AS ONLINE BACKLASH GROWS
A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has been remembered as a ‘precious’ and ‘beautiful young man’ by his family. Conroy, 14, died after the allegedly stolen vehicle…
SHE WAS PERFECTLY FINE… THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED IN MINUTES — AUSSIE FAMILY DEVASTATED AFTER 9-YEAR-OLD GIRL D-I-E-S FROM HIDDEN BRAIN CONDITION
A grieving family spent Mother’s Day saying goodbye to their only child after she unexpectedly suffered a rare and catastrophic brain bleed. Nine-year-old Hannah Teklic was ‘perfect’ as she danced in the kitchen and proudly posed with her school certificate…
THEY CAME TO AUSTRALIA FOR A NEW LIFE… THEN EVERYTHING TURNED INTO A NIGHTMARE — SON’S HEARTBREAKING COURT MESSAGE AFTER FATHER ST-ABS MOTHER TO DE-ATH
The teenage son of a husband who brutally murdered his wife and effectively orphaned their four kids has delivered a devastating speech to court. Jessie James Tumaliuan, 42, pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court of Victoria to murdering Czarina Gatbonton…
End of content
No more pages to load