A notorious child murderer suspected of killing at least four more people has taken his remaining secrets to the grave.
Bevan Spencer von Einem died in prison while serving a life sentence for the 1983 murder of teenager Richard Kelvin, the son of former Nine News presenter Rob Kelvin.
The 79-year-old has long been suspected of having killed four more young men, but South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas said his refusal to co-operate with police meant his legacy of devastation could never be undone.
“He chose silence —callous, deliberate silence—denying victims’ families even the faintest chance of closure,” Malinauskas said in a statement on Saturday.
“His decision to take critical information to the grave is an act of cruelty in its own right.
“His death marks the end of a life defined by calculated brutality.”
Von Einem’s crimes are considered some of the most horrific ever committed in the southern state.

After abducting the 15-year-old teenager from a bus stop, he kept him captive for weeks, drugging, torturing and sexually assaulting him before dumping his body in the Adelaide Hills.
Richard was one of five youths or young men brutally murdered in and around Adelaide during the late 1970s and early 1980s.
At the time, it was widely suggested the killings were the work of a group known as The Family, which was thought to involve people with high societal standing.
Von Einem remains the only person to have been convicted over any of the deaths.
He was charged with two more murders, but both charges were dropped because of a lack of admissible evidence.
Von Einem was also ordered to serve an extra three-month jail term in 2009 for possessing child abuse material while in prison.
“Today, my thoughts are with the families of his victims,” Malinauskas said.
“The greatest tragedy is that they may never know the full truth because of his deliberate and selfish silence.
“Their strength in the face of unimaginable suffering deserves our deepest respect and support.”
News
DETECTIVES ARE EXAMINING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLOSELY… — TRIPLE D-E-A-TH TRAGEDY IN CAMPBELLTOWN TAKES SHOCKING TURN AS MAN KNOWN TO VICTIMS DETAINED
Three people including two young children are dead and a man is in custody after police were called to a “particularly violent crime scene” that has stunned the local community. The bodies were discovered in different rooms of the property…
PARENTS WERE RIGHT THERE… — WEEKEND NETBALL MATCH DESCENDS INTO SH0CK AFTER ALLEGED CONFRONTATION BETWEEN TEENS
Vision has emerged of a gang of teenage e-bike riders at a weekend sports event viciously attacking a 12-year-old boy. One girl, aged 14, was seen kicking and punching the young boy at John Fisher Park in North Curl Curl, north Sydney, on Saturday….
POLICE ARE NOW PIECING TOGETHER THE FINAL HOURS… — THREE PEOPLE FOUND D-E-A-D INSIDE Campbelltown HOME AS INVESTIGATORS REVEAL EARLY DETAILS
A woman and two children have been killed in a suspected domestic violence attack. Their bodies were found by police at a home on Raymond Ave in Campbelltown, southwest Sydney, about 7.50pm on Monday. A triple-zero had been made from inside the house. A…
THEY WERE FOUND IN THE DEEPEST PART OF THE CAVE… — ELITE RESCUERS MAKE HEARTBREAKING DISCOVERY DAYS AFTER MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY
Elite Finnish divers have located the bodies of a team of Italians four days after they disappeared in sea caves in the Maldives. Tragedy struck on Thursday after five – including a mother and daughter – died while attempting to explore…
NETFLIX SH0CKER: ICONIC FRENCH DRAMA RETURNS AFTER 5 YEARS — FANS CALL IT A “MASTERPIECE COMEBACK
Netflix users, this is not a drill! The highly-acclaimed French comedy-drama, Call My Agent!, is returning to screens five years after its final episode. The series, which first premiered in 2015, is returning to the platform as a feature film this autumn,…
BBC VIEWERS ARE LOSING SLEEP OVER THIS HIDDEN DETECTIVE GEM — A RETIRED STAR + A BRILLIANT DETECTIVE = THE TV OBSESSION NOBODY SAW COMING
The BBC’s cosy mystery drama, Death Valley, returned on Sunday night with its anticipated second season, and viewers can’t get enough of the new episodes. The series follows the unlikely crime solving duo: retired actor John Chapel and eager Welsh detective…
End of content
No more pages to load