Beaches along the Mid North Coast have reopened after a shark attack claimed the life of a young Swiss woman and left her boyfriend with serious injuries.
Kylies, North Haven, and Crowdy Bay beaches were closed following the attack early on Thursday morning, when a three-metre bull shark mauled the couple while they swam at the remote Crowdy Bay National Park.
Livia Muhlheim, 25, died and her boyfriend Lukas Schindler, 26, was seriously injured in the attack.
Swiss shark attack victim Livia Muhlheim.
Shark attack survivor Lukas Schindler.
The shark bit Mr Schindler on the leg as he tried to save his girlfriend.
He managed to drag the young woman to shore with him, but she could not be saved.
The beaches reopened at 12.30pm Friday, after increased drone and jet ski surveillance showed no further threatening marine activity.
“Ahead of the weekend, and noting the forecast hot temperatures that will attract large crowds to the beaches, drones will continue to provide shark surveillance to the area, particularly at Camden Haven and Crowdy Head, with nippers set to go ahead as scheduled on Sunday,” a Surf Life Saving NSW spokesperson said.
Experts reviewing the scene say the bull shark involved is unlikely to pose an ongoing threat. Picture: iStock
The couple, both in their 20s, had arrived at a nearby campground on Wednesday.
NSW Ambulance Inspector Kirran Mowbray said the shark attacked Ms Mulheim first, and her partner “did everything he could to get them both into shore and yell out for assistance to a bystander who was there”.
A quick-thinking bystander on the beach used her swimmers to fashion a makeshift tourniquet around Mr Schindler’s leg.
“She’s essentially saved his life and bought him time before (paramedics) can get there,” Inspector Mowbray said.
The man was flown to John Hunter Hospital in critical condition.
NSW Ambulance Superintendent Josh Smyth described the incident as “tragic”.
He thanked the witnesses who jumped in to render first aid to the couple.
“The courage from some bystanders is amazing in the situation and … to put yourself out there is very heroic.
Beaches along the Mid North Coast reopened Friday after the fatal shark attack. Picture: NewsWire / Damian Shaw
Tributes as investigation continues
A swim club in Switzerland has paid tribute to Ms Mühlheim, who was a highly regarded synchronised swimmer.
She competed from a young age and later judged artistic swimming competitions.
Swim Regio Solothurn paid tribute to her lifelong love of the water in a post on their website.
“It is with deep sadness that we announce the death of Livia Mühlheim, former artistic swimmer and active judge,” the statement read.
“She died in Australia – in her beloved element, the water. On behalf of the club, we express our sincere condolences to the family.”
Authorities have been reviewing GoPro footage from the scene to better understand the attack.
Experts say the shark is unlikely to pose an ongoing threat, but drone surveillance will continue as a precaution.
Local leaders expressed their heartbreak over the tragedy.
Federal MP Alison Penfold said she was deeply heartbroken that a young woman had been killed.
“I cannot imagine the pain and shock that family and loved ones are going through right now,” she said.
“I extend my deepest condolences to them and the wider Crowdy community in what is a devastatingly tragic loss of life.”
The couple were swimming at Kylies Beach in Crowdy Bay on Thursday. Picture: NewsWire/ Scott Calvin
Port Macquarie MP Robert Dwyer expressed his condolences for the woman killed in the attack.
“This is a heartbreaking day for our community and my thoughts are with both families as they grapple with something no family should ever have to face,” he said.
“I want to thank the people who stepped in straight away and the first responders who pushed through tough conditions to do everything they could.”
Surf Life Saving NSW chief executive Steven Pearce described the location as “quite a remote location”.
“These incidents are horrific for everyone, and unfortunately, we’ve had a few this year already,” Mr Pearce said.
News
DETECTIVES ARE EXAMINING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLOSELY… — TRIPLE D-E-A-TH TRAGEDY IN CAMPBELLTOWN TAKES SHOCKING TURN AS MAN KNOWN TO VICTIMS DETAINED
Three people including two young children are dead and a man is in custody after police were called to a “particularly violent crime scene” that has stunned the local community. The bodies were discovered in different rooms of the property…
PARENTS WERE RIGHT THERE… — WEEKEND NETBALL MATCH DESCENDS INTO SH0CK AFTER ALLEGED CONFRONTATION BETWEEN TEENS
Vision has emerged of a gang of teenage e-bike riders at a weekend sports event viciously attacking a 12-year-old boy. One girl, aged 14, was seen kicking and punching the young boy at John Fisher Park in North Curl Curl, north Sydney, on Saturday….
POLICE ARE NOW PIECING TOGETHER THE FINAL HOURS… — THREE PEOPLE FOUND D-E-A-D INSIDE Campbelltown HOME AS INVESTIGATORS REVEAL EARLY DETAILS
A woman and two children have been killed in a suspected domestic violence attack. Their bodies were found by police at a home on Raymond Ave in Campbelltown, southwest Sydney, about 7.50pm on Monday. A triple-zero had been made from inside the house. A…
THEY WERE FOUND IN THE DEEPEST PART OF THE CAVE… — ELITE RESCUERS MAKE HEARTBREAKING DISCOVERY DAYS AFTER MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY
Elite Finnish divers have located the bodies of a team of Italians four days after they disappeared in sea caves in the Maldives. Tragedy struck on Thursday after five – including a mother and daughter – died while attempting to explore…
NETFLIX SH0CKER: ICONIC FRENCH DRAMA RETURNS AFTER 5 YEARS — FANS CALL IT A “MASTERPIECE COMEBACK
Netflix users, this is not a drill! The highly-acclaimed French comedy-drama, Call My Agent!, is returning to screens five years after its final episode. The series, which first premiered in 2015, is returning to the platform as a feature film this autumn,…
BBC VIEWERS ARE LOSING SLEEP OVER THIS HIDDEN DETECTIVE GEM — A RETIRED STAR + A BRILLIANT DETECTIVE = THE TV OBSESSION NOBODY SAW COMING
The BBC’s cosy mystery drama, Death Valley, returned on Sunday night with its anticipated second season, and viewers can’t get enough of the new episodes. The series follows the unlikely crime solving duo: retired actor John Chapel and eager Welsh detective…
End of content
No more pages to load