A young couple from Switzerland were filming dolphins in the water off a NSW beach when a shark attacked them, killing a woman and leaving a man with serious injuries as he tried to fight it off.
Emergency services were called to a beach at Crowdy Bay near Port Macquarie – an unpatrolled beach known to be a shark hotspot about 6.30am yesterday.
Bystanders from a nearby campsite provided aid to the victims before paramedics arrived but the woman, believed to be aged 25, died at the scene.
The pair were trying to film a pod of dolphins before the shark attacked. (Nine)
A woman is dead and a man injured after a shark attack on a Mid North Coast NSW beach at Crowdy Bay. (9News)
The woman’s boyfriend, a 26-year-old man, was airlifted to John Hunter Hospital with serious injuries.
He remains there today in a serious but stable condition.
It’s believed they were mauled by a three-metre bull shark.
Ambulance Superintendent Joshua Smyth praised a bystander who applied a makeshift tourniquet to the man’s leg, saying they “potentially saved his life”.
The man was hoping to film his girlfriend interacting with a pod of dolphins before she was believed to have been attacked by a shark.
Experts are exploring theories they were mauled by a three-metre bull shark. (Getty)
Police are now reviewing GoPro footage the couple recorded which 9News understands shows dolphins in the water, just prior to the attack.
Today was supposed to be the last day of the pair’s Australia trip before they caught a flight back to Switzerland this afternoon.
Beaches remain closed
Multiple beaches have been closed, with Surf Life Saving working to secure signage to let beach-goers know ahead of an anticipated hot weekend.
There will be extra surveillance at patrolled beaches on the weekend.
It’s not known when the closed beaches will be reopened, though it is believed it could be for at least a few days.
Crowdy Bay is a remote part of NSW. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)
Surf Life Saving NSW chief executive Steven Pearce told 2GB the association was sending up surveillance drones and personnel to support police and the Department of Primary Industries.
“These incidents are horrific for everyone, and unfortunately we’ve had a few this year,” he said.
“This area, it’s just so remote, you know, there’s no lifeguarding service up there at all.”
A report will be prepared for the coroner.
News
DETECTIVES ARE EXAMINING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLOSELY… — TRIPLE D-E-A-TH TRAGEDY IN CAMPBELLTOWN TAKES SHOCKING TURN AS MAN KNOWN TO VICTIMS DETAINED
Three people including two young children are dead and a man is in custody after police were called to a “particularly violent crime scene” that has stunned the local community. The bodies were discovered in different rooms of the property…
PARENTS WERE RIGHT THERE… — WEEKEND NETBALL MATCH DESCENDS INTO SH0CK AFTER ALLEGED CONFRONTATION BETWEEN TEENS
Vision has emerged of a gang of teenage e-bike riders at a weekend sports event viciously attacking a 12-year-old boy. One girl, aged 14, was seen kicking and punching the young boy at John Fisher Park in North Curl Curl, north Sydney, on Saturday….
POLICE ARE NOW PIECING TOGETHER THE FINAL HOURS… — THREE PEOPLE FOUND D-E-A-D INSIDE Campbelltown HOME AS INVESTIGATORS REVEAL EARLY DETAILS
A woman and two children have been killed in a suspected domestic violence attack. Their bodies were found by police at a home on Raymond Ave in Campbelltown, southwest Sydney, about 7.50pm on Monday. A triple-zero had been made from inside the house. A…
THEY WERE FOUND IN THE DEEPEST PART OF THE CAVE… — ELITE RESCUERS MAKE HEARTBREAKING DISCOVERY DAYS AFTER MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY
Elite Finnish divers have located the bodies of a team of Italians four days after they disappeared in sea caves in the Maldives. Tragedy struck on Thursday after five – including a mother and daughter – died while attempting to explore…
NETFLIX SH0CKER: ICONIC FRENCH DRAMA RETURNS AFTER 5 YEARS — FANS CALL IT A “MASTERPIECE COMEBACK
Netflix users, this is not a drill! The highly-acclaimed French comedy-drama, Call My Agent!, is returning to screens five years after its final episode. The series, which first premiered in 2015, is returning to the platform as a feature film this autumn,…
BBC VIEWERS ARE LOSING SLEEP OVER THIS HIDDEN DETECTIVE GEM — A RETIRED STAR + A BRILLIANT DETECTIVE = THE TV OBSESSION NOBODY SAW COMING
The BBC’s cosy mystery drama, Death Valley, returned on Sunday night with its anticipated second season, and viewers can’t get enough of the new episodes. The series follows the unlikely crime solving duo: retired actor John Chapel and eager Welsh detective…
End of content
No more pages to load