At least a dozen homes have been damaged or destroyed after a fire suddenly spread, catching residents off guard on the NSW Central Coast.
People in parts of Koolewong, between Gosford and Woy Woy, were told to leave as an apparent change in wind direction suddenly sent the blaze towards homes on Saturday afternoon.
By the evening, NSW Premier Chris Minns said at least 12 homes had been damaged or destroyed, and potential lightning strikes and another wind change overnight were posing a huge threat.
At least a dozen homes have been damaged or destroyed after a fire suddenly spread on the NSW Central Coast. (Nine)
Fifty firetrucks, 250 firefighters and nine waterbombing planes were working to contain the Koolewong blaze (Sitthixay Ditthavong)
Minns said 50 firetrucks, 250 firefighters and nine waterbombing planes were working to contain the Koolewong blaze and some 1100 firefighters would work through the night across the state.
The Koolewong fire jumped one kilometre across Woy Woy Bay into the Woy Woy Bay Road and Phegans Bay area late in the afternoon, the RFS said.
Residents were being told to take shelter, and already about 60 people were hunkering down at an evacuation centre set up at Gosford RSL on the Central Coast Highway. Many others had self-evacuated to other areas, Minns said.
‘Everything’s gone’
Homes dotted in thick bushland on the picturesque part of the NSW coast had no hope as the fire quickly engulfed them yesterday.
Flames licked the tops of tall gums and acrid black smoke blanketed neighbouring streets.
People in parts of Koolewong, between Gosford and Woy Woy, were told to leave as an apparent change in wind direction suddenly sent the blaze towards homes. (Nine)
Premier Chris Minns told 9News it was “devastating for them on the eve of Christmas for this to happen”. (Nine)
Tony Stellino knew he had already lost his home before even being allowed to return last night.
“I went out there and had a look too and [thought] oh my god … it’s on top of us,” he said.
“We made it, we’re still here, we’ll start again.
“Everything’s gone, you know, memories, all our clothes, all our possessions.”
Minns told 9News it was “devastating for them on the eve of Christmas for this to happen”.
“A confronting day … this is a warning for everyone to follow the advice … we need to make sure we do everything we possibly can to protect lives,” Minns said.
Homes dotted in thick bushland on the picturesque NSW coast had no hope as the fire quickly engulfed them. (Sitthixay Ditthavong)
Lightning over Koolewong, part of a band of strikes threatening to spark new blazes. (Sitthixay Ditthavong)
New threats throughout the night
The Koolewong fire started in a park area about 1pm, RFS Commissioner Trent Curtin said.
A combination of strong winds, hot conditions and steep land with difficult access for fire crews made for “prime conditions for the fire to spread rapidly”.
“The fire moved very, very quickly into properties,” Curtin said.
“We issued a watch and act [alert] and it escalated very quickly to an emergency warning.”
The fire was downgraded to a watch and act about 6pm, as conditions began to ease. But residents were told to be on high alert.
Changing weather through the night posed a new threat.
A band of lightning was expected to hit the area early in the evening, threatening to spark new fires.
A combination of strong winds, hot conditions and steep land with difficult access for fire crews made for “prime conditions for the fire to spread rapidly”. (Nine)
Katie Greene was devastated when four of her neighbours’ homes burnt down around her home in Koolewong. (Sitthixay Ditthavong)
A wind change was then forecasted for between 2am and 5am that authorities feared would make firefighting capabilities difficult.
“We are expecting some changes in the wind so that will create very challenging conditions for firefighters,” Curtin said.
The RFS was using a military Chinook helicopter to help soak the Koolewong fire. It is the only waterbombing aircraft in Australia that can continue to operate at night.
“The Chinook helicopter will continue bombing operations as long as wind and weather permits throughout the night, to continue to suppress that fire and protect communities,” Curtin said.
Locals were urged to leave their burning properties as the fire spread rapidly. (Nine)
A helicopter was seen dumping large loads of water over the firezone. (Nine)
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese sent a message of support to residents and firefighters dealing with the blaze.
“Please look out for each other and follow advice from authorities,” he said.
“Thank you to all our emergency services and volunteers on the ground and in the air.
“We stand ready to assist the NSW government.”
Video showed the intensity of the inferno as it tore through homes adjacent to the train line at Koolewong.
Brisbane Water Drive was closed in both direction between The Boulevarde at Woy Woy and Glenrock Parade at Tascott/Point Clare.
Trains on the Central Coast and Newcastle Line were cancelled between Gosford and the Hawkesbury River. due to the fire’s proximity to the train line. (Nine)
Inferno tears through bushland in the Hunter Valley
Some 75 bushfires were burning across the state as of yesterday afternoon, with 19 of those uncontained.
A total of 1100 firefighters and 300 fire trucks were on the ground battling the various blazes.
A watch and act was in place for a fire at Bulahdelah, which has burned through more than 2500 hectares since Thursday.
Residents in part of the rural Goulburn River National Park were told to take cover as a large bushfire burned through the Merriwa River Valley.
It was too late to leave for residents in Baerami, Baerami Creek, Widden, Yarrawa and Kerrabee, the RFS said yesterday afternoon.
People were told to seek shelter inside a solid structure, like a house, as firefighters and a waterbombing plane tried to slow the spread of the fire.
People in nearby Worondi Creek Road were advised to enact their bushfire survival plans and prepare.
Evacuation centres were open at the Merriwa RSL Club, the Merriwa Showground, which has space for animals and cattle, the Denman RSL Club, and the Denman Pony Club.
Temperatures across NSW soared yesterday, with parts of Sydney nudging above 40 degrees.
Penrith in Sydney’s west recorded a high of 41.7 degrees just before 3pm.
Conditions at Sydney Airport reached 39.2 degrees at 12.30pm.
Extreme fire danger is forecast for much of the Hunter Valley, Greater Sydney, Illawarra and Central Coast regions.
News
DETECTIVES ARE EXAMINING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLOSELY… — TRIPLE D-E-A-TH TRAGEDY IN CAMPBELLTOWN TAKES SHOCKING TURN AS MAN KNOWN TO VICTIMS DETAINED
Three people including two young children are dead and a man is in custody after police were called to a “particularly violent crime scene” that has stunned the local community. The bodies were discovered in different rooms of the property…
PARENTS WERE RIGHT THERE… — WEEKEND NETBALL MATCH DESCENDS INTO SH0CK AFTER ALLEGED CONFRONTATION BETWEEN TEENS
Vision has emerged of a gang of teenage e-bike riders at a weekend sports event viciously attacking a 12-year-old boy. One girl, aged 14, was seen kicking and punching the young boy at John Fisher Park in North Curl Curl, north Sydney, on Saturday….
POLICE ARE NOW PIECING TOGETHER THE FINAL HOURS… — THREE PEOPLE FOUND D-E-A-D INSIDE Campbelltown HOME AS INVESTIGATORS REVEAL EARLY DETAILS
A woman and two children have been killed in a suspected domestic violence attack. Their bodies were found by police at a home on Raymond Ave in Campbelltown, southwest Sydney, about 7.50pm on Monday. A triple-zero had been made from inside the house. A…
THEY WERE FOUND IN THE DEEPEST PART OF THE CAVE… — ELITE RESCUERS MAKE HEARTBREAKING DISCOVERY DAYS AFTER MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY
Elite Finnish divers have located the bodies of a team of Italians four days after they disappeared in sea caves in the Maldives. Tragedy struck on Thursday after five – including a mother and daughter – died while attempting to explore…
NETFLIX SH0CKER: ICONIC FRENCH DRAMA RETURNS AFTER 5 YEARS — FANS CALL IT A “MASTERPIECE COMEBACK
Netflix users, this is not a drill! The highly-acclaimed French comedy-drama, Call My Agent!, is returning to screens five years after its final episode. The series, which first premiered in 2015, is returning to the platform as a feature film this autumn,…
BBC VIEWERS ARE LOSING SLEEP OVER THIS HIDDEN DETECTIVE GEM — A RETIRED STAR + A BRILLIANT DETECTIVE = THE TV OBSESSION NOBODY SAW COMING
The BBC’s cosy mystery drama, Death Valley, returned on Sunday night with its anticipated second season, and viewers can’t get enough of the new episodes. The series follows the unlikely crime solving duo: retired actor John Chapel and eager Welsh detective…
End of content
No more pages to load