The witness who first connected Christian Brueckner to Madeleine McCann’s disappearance has expressed his conviction that the German sex offender knows what happened to the missing British toddler.
Helge Busching, who initially linked Brueckner to the abduction in 2008, said he is “convinced” the German is involved.
He told the Daily Mail: “I am convinced Brueckner is involved. There has to now be some hope for Madeleine’s parents.”
His statement comes as Portuguese police conduct fresh searches near Brueckner’s former home in the Algarve.

A fresh search is underway in the Algarve
Getty/PA
Busching’s testimony has already proved crucial in securing Brueckner’s 2019 conviction for raping an elderly American woman in Praia da Luz, resulting in a seven-year prison sentence.
The former friend of Brueckner first reported his suspicions just one year after three-year-old Madeleine vanished from the resort in May 2007.
Busching revealed disturbing details about his 2008 encounter with Brueckner at a Spanish music festival, where the suspect made comments that convinced him of his involvement.
According to Busching, Brueckner told him it was “strange Madeleine didn’t scream” when she was taken.
“When he said ‘she didn’t scream’ we were talking our language, German and I could tell from his voice and gestures what he meant, there is no misunderstanding,” Busching told the Mail.

A hard drive found hidden at Brueckner’s lair is said to be crucial in persuading investigators that Madeleine died shortly after her disappearance in May 2007PA
The witness described Brueckner as “evil” and “bad”, stating: “I know he is capable of taking Madeleine and I told Scotland Yard and the German BKA (police) the same thing.”
A dramatic intervention has emerged from Ken Ralphs, who claims police are searching the wrong location and that he met Brueckner’s alleged accomplice one week before Madeleine vanished.
Speaking to GB News, Ralphs said the accomplice “cried that he needed the money to get out the country with his family and children and that’s why he got involved” in plans to abduct a child from Praia da Luz.
Ralphs identified what he described as the last property where Brueckner stayed before Madeleine disappeared, urging investigators to focus their efforts there instead.
“For over 18 years, I’ve pressed the police and all they can do is blame each other for not passing this information on,” he said.
The current searches at Atalaia, approximately three miles from where Madeleine vanished, have entered their third day with German and Portuguese authorities using excavators, geo-scanners and other equipment to examine scrubland around abandoned buildings.
Brueckner faces potential release in September if he pays outstanding fines of €1,500, though sources suggest he may remain imprisoned until January 2027 due to lack of funds.
Busching expressed frustration about the timing, telling the Mail: “I just pray to God that they find something to keep him in jail. The BKA wouldn’t spend all this money to send a team to Portugal if they didn’t think it was worth it.”
He warned that if Brueckner goes free, “he will disappear, and justice won’t be done.”
News
POLICE ARE NOW PIECING TOGETHER THE FINAL HOURS… — THREE PEOPLE FOUND D-E-A-D INSIDE Campbelltown HOME AS INVESTIGATORS REVEAL EARLY DETAILS
A woman and two children have been killed in a suspected domestic violence attack. Their bodies were found by police at a home on Raymond Ave in Campbelltown, southwest Sydney, about 7.50pm on Monday. A triple-zero had been made from inside the house. A…
THEY WERE FOUND IN THE DEEPEST PART OF THE CAVE… — ELITE RESCUERS MAKE HEARTBREAKING DISCOVERY DAYS AFTER MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY
Elite Finnish divers have located the bodies of a team of Italians four days after they disappeared in sea caves in the Maldives. Tragedy struck on Thursday after five – including a mother and daughter – died while attempting to explore…
NETFLIX SH0CKER: ICONIC FRENCH DRAMA RETURNS AFTER 5 YEARS — FANS CALL IT A “MASTERPIECE COMEBACK
Netflix users, this is not a drill! The highly-acclaimed French comedy-drama, Call My Agent!, is returning to screens five years after its final episode. The series, which first premiered in 2015, is returning to the platform as a feature film this autumn,…
BBC VIEWERS ARE LOSING SLEEP OVER THIS HIDDEN DETECTIVE GEM — A RETIRED STAR + A BRILLIANT DETECTIVE = THE TV OBSESSION NOBODY SAW COMING
The BBC’s cosy mystery drama, Death Valley, returned on Sunday night with its anticipated second season, and viewers can’t get enough of the new episodes. The series follows the unlikely crime solving duo: retired actor John Chapel and eager Welsh detective…
WE FELT UNSAFE MOST OF THE WAY… — INJURED TOURIST MAKES CHILLING CLAIM AFTER DE-ADLY Gumlu BUS CRASH
A survivor of a deadly bus crash which killed a young tourist has claimed the driver warned passengers the vehicle was “not the best one” before it allegedly began moving erratically and rolled off the road. Chilean tourist Barbara Goncalves told 7NEWS…
PLEASE DON’T LET MY SON D-I-E FOR NOTHING… — HEARTBROKEN MUM’S EMOTIONAL PLEA AFTER 14-YEAR-OLD D-I-E-S IN VIC CRASH LEAVES AUSTRALIA IN TEARS
A heartbroken mother has issued a sobering plea to young criminals after her 14-year-old son was killed in a stolen car crash in Victoria. Chereeta Wightman is desperate for the death of her son Connroy to not be in vain…
End of content
No more pages to load