Leaving hospital with wounds still fresh, the sole survivor of last week’s Air India plane crash solemnly carried the coffin of his brother, performing the last rites for a life lost in the deadly disaster.
Vishwash Kumar Ramesh, a 40-year-old British national, appeared overcome with grief as he led the funeral procession through the streets of the western Indian coastal town of Diu on Wednesday.

video
Ramesh, who was discharged from hospital a day prior, had bandages on his face from cuts and bruises sustained after flight AI171 traveling to London’s Gatwick Airport from the western city of Ahmedabad plunged to the ground seconds after takeoff last Thursday, killing 241 people on board.
How Ramesh escaped with a few wounds is being described as nothing short of a miracle.
“I don’t know how I survived,” he told Indian state broadcaster DD News while in the hospital, explaining how he unbuckled himself from his seat in 11A – an emergency exit seat – shortly after the crash and walked away from the scene.
“For some time, I thought I was going to die. But when I opened my eyes, I realized I was alive,” he said.
He and his brother, who had been sitting a few rows away, had been returning to the UK after spending a few weeks visiting family in India.
Video of Ramesh stumbling from the crash has been viewed widely on news channels and across social media. Flames can be seen billowing behind him, with thick plumes of smoke rising high into the sky.

The mother of Vishwash Kumar Ramesh, the sole survivor of the Air India plane crash and his brother Ajay Ramesh, who died in the crash, boards a bus to travel to India on June 13, 2025 in Leicester, United Kingdom.
Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
Authorities tasked with identifying the victims’ bodies have described just how difficult that process has been. High temperatures from the burning fuel left “no chance” to rescue passengers, India’s Home Minister Amit Shah said, making bodies difficult to recognize.
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner was carrying 125,000 liters – enough to last a 10-hour flight from Ahmedabad to London – but it crashed less than a minute after takeoff, plunging into a hostel for medical students, killing several on the ground.
As of Thursday, more than 150 bodies have been handed over to loved ones, according to health officials, with funerals taking place in various cities across the country.
Investigators, meanwhile, are looking at the wreckage to determine what could have caused one of the worst air crashes India has seen in decades.
A mayday call from the cockpit was made to air traffic control shortly before the crash, Indian civil aviation authorities said.

Parts of the Air India plane are seen on top of a building in Ahmedabad, India, Friday, June 13, 2025.
Rafiq Maqbool/AP
Both black boxes, the plane’s cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder, are now being analyzed for valuable clues that could help determine the cause. India’s Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau are leading the probe into the crash with assistance from the United Kingdom and the United States, as well as officials from Boeing.
The Indian government has also set up a separate high-level committee to examine what led to the crash. The committee is expected to file their preliminary findings within three months.
Air India – the country’s flagship carrier – said on Wednesday it is conducting safety inspections across all of its Boeing 787-8/9 aircraft fleet.
“Out of total 33 aircraft, inspections have now been completed on 26 and these have been cleared for service, while inspection of the remainder will be complete in the coming days,” it said in a statement on X.
Meanwhile, it has reduced international services on its widebody aircraft by 15% due to the ongoing inspections and the conflict in the Middle East, it added.
For days, families of victims have gathered near morgues awaiting to collect the bodies of their loved ones and searching for answers.

Hospital staff load the body of a victim for the Air India plane crash at the Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad, India, June 13, 2025.
Amit Dave/Reuters
Grieving families
As Ramesh laid his brother to rest Wednesday, another family around 160 miles south in the city of Mumbai, performed burials for four members killed in the crash.
Imtiaz Ali Syed, 42, whose brother Javed, sister-in-law, nephew and niece were on board the Air India flight, said he received their bodies from authorities in Ahmedabad and brought them to the family’s hometown on Wednesday.
Javed and his family, who lived in London, were in Mumbai to visit his sick mother and celebrate Eid al-Adha, also known as Bakri Eid, Syed told CNN. It was the first time in 15 years that Syed and his three other siblings were all together, he said.

Relatives of victims mourn as they wait outside the postmortem room at a hospital, in Ahmedabad, India, June 13, 2025.
Adnan Abidi/Reuters
Syed’s sister, who also lives in the UK, took a direct flight from Mumbai to London, he said. But Javed and his family were on a different flight via Ahmedabad.
He described his disbelief when he learned that Javed was on the ill-fated Air India plane. “Someone woke me up and said a plane crashed in Ahmedabad and asked me to check what flight Javed was on,” Syed recalled.
Syed fondly described his brother as someone who was “always available” for their family.
“He looked after my grandmother’s medicines, he looked after my mother, he would take care of our sister,” he said, describing the unbearable pain of losing Javed.
“Within a week or fifteen days, or a month, maybe he will call,” Syed said. “Telling me he is somewhere.”
News
THEN WE HEARD THE SH0TS… EVERYONE STARTED RUNNING — WITNESSES RECOUNT CHAOTIC MOMENTS AFTER DE-ADLY CANLEY HEIGHTS SH00TING
A man has died and four others are in a serious condition following an alleged shooting in Sydney’s south-west overnight. The 28-year-old man died at Liverpool Hospital shortly after presenting there with multiple wounds. He is yet to be formally identified….
SH0CK NEW COURT TWIST… — AUSTRALIA’S YOUNGEST CONVICTED MU-RDE-RER ADMITS TO FURTHER OFFENCES AS CASE REIGNITES NATIONAL DEBATE
A boast by Australia’s youngest convicted murderer that police would never find what was on his phone led to his re-arrest for downloading sexually violent images and child abuse material. The man, known for legal reasons as SLD, spent almost…
THE BEST PERIOD DRAMA SINCE DOWNTON ABBEY? — VIEWERS ARE RACING THROUGH THE NEW SEASON OF THIS YORKSHIRE FAMILY SAGA
Viewers are binge-watching Channel 5’s smash hit period drama, The Hardacres, which returned with a second season on Thursday night. The rags-to-riches tale, based on CL Skelton’s The Hardacre Saga novels, is set in 1890s Yorkshire and follows the titular Hardacre family…
NETFLIX’S NEW 8-EPISODE CRIME THRILLER HAS VIEWERS LOSING SLEEP — THE CAT-AND-MOUSE SERIES EVERYONE IS BINGEING WITHOUT STOPPING
Netflix viewers have been binge-watching Nemesis, the gritty new crime drama that landed on the streamer on Thursday. Told across eight episodes, the series stars Matthew Law (Abbott Elementary, Ahsoka) and Y’lan Noel (Lady in the Lake, Insecure), who play Detective Isaiah…
MAFS UK UNDER INTENSE SCRUTINY… — POLICE INVESTIGATION REPORTED AFTER SERIOUS ALLEGATIONS AS FUTURE OF SHOW THROWN INTO DOUBT
Married at First Sight UK likely faces a police probe and the axe after two women claimed they were raped by their on-screen husbands – and one alleged victim said she was forced to have an abortion. Shona Manderson, who has waived her…
8 YEARS LATER… MEGHAN MARKLE RELEASES NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN WEDDING PHOTOS WITH HARRY — BUT FANS CAN’T STOP TALKING ABOUT WHO WASN’T INCLUDED
Meghan Markle celebrated her eighth wedding anniversary with Prince Harry today, as she shared a collection of previously unseen photographs from their big day on Instagram. ‘Eight years ago today…’, she captioned the two posts, with one showing a glimpse of the…
End of content
No more pages to load