
Police have laid fresh charges against the owner of Arnie the German shepherd, the family pet who died after the vehicle he was in was reported stolen.
The case generated widespread attention on social media, as Queenslanders rallied to help locate the missing dog.
Police were initially told the black Toyota Hilux had been pinched from a property in Wynnum on November 8, with Arnie inside.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
Days later, though, detectives confirmed the vehicle had not been stolen.
Instead, the Bayside criminal investigation branch allege the 43-year-old owner drove the vehicle to Amelia Street in Fortitude Valley shortly after 10.30pm on November 7 and left it there with Arnie still inside.
Police claim he then told his partner the next morning that the vehicle had been stolen from Wynnum, prompting her to report the matter.
Investigators say she was unaware of the true circumstances surrounding the car’s disappearance.
Ten days later, on November 17 at 4pm, a member of the public found the Hilux parked on the same Fortitude Valley street where it had been left. Arnie was discovered dead inside.
Police charged the owner last month with one count of breach of duty of care of an animal by failing to provide, under the Animal Protection Act. Detectives later amended the charge to injuring animals (causing injury or death) by night under the Criminal Code.
Queensland Police confirmed on Thursday the man has now been hit with additional offences, including driving without a licence, driving under the influence and one count of serious obstruction of police.
He is expected to face a Brisbane court later this month.
In a statement, police acknowledged the significant public attention the case has attracted and urged community members to respect the court process.
“The Queensland Police Service takes animal care seriously,” the statement said.
“Any reports of a breach of duty of care towards animals will be taken seriously and fully investigated.”
Investigations under Strike Force Bray remain ongoing.
Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or crimestoppersqld.com.au.
News
LIVE TV TURNS TENSE… — Barnaby Joyce PRESSES Tanya Plibersek OVER LABOR TA-X DEBATE DURING Sunrise AS STUDIO FALLS SILENT
Barnaby Joyce has unleashed on Labor’s tax changes accusing the government of punishing Australians for building wealth and passing assets on to their children. The former deputy prime minister clashed with Social Services Minister Tanya Plibersek during a heated exchange…
POLICE FINALLY BREAK THEIR SILENCE… — MAJOR UPDATE AFTER WOMAN AND TWO CHILDREN, 4 AND 12, FOUND DE-AD IN Campbelltown HOME
A Sydney man has been charged with murdering his partner and two children in an alleged domestic violence attack police have described as among the most brutal they have seen. Md. Shomon Ahamed, 47, was arrested at the family’s Campbelltown property in south-western Sydney…
DETECTIVES ARE EXAMINING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLOSELY… — TRIPLE D-E-A-TH TRAGEDY IN CAMPBELLTOWN TAKES SHOCKING TURN AS MAN KNOWN TO VICTIMS DETAINED
Three people including two young children are dead and a man is in custody after police were called to a “particularly violent crime scene” that has stunned the local community. The bodies were discovered in different rooms of the property…
PARENTS WERE RIGHT THERE… — WEEKEND NETBALL MATCH DESCENDS INTO SH0CK AFTER ALLEGED CONFRONTATION BETWEEN TEENS
Vision has emerged of a gang of teenage e-bike riders at a weekend sports event viciously attacking a 12-year-old boy. One girl, aged 14, was seen kicking and punching the young boy at John Fisher Park in North Curl Curl, north Sydney, on Saturday….
POLICE ARE NOW PIECING TOGETHER THE FINAL HOURS… — THREE PEOPLE FOUND D-E-A-D INSIDE Campbelltown HOME AS INVESTIGATORS REVEAL EARLY DETAILS
A woman and two children have been killed in a suspected domestic violence attack. Their bodies were found by police at a home on Raymond Ave in Campbelltown, southwest Sydney, about 7.50pm on Monday. A triple-zero had been made from inside the house. A…
THEY WERE FOUND IN THE DEEPEST PART OF THE CAVE… — ELITE RESCUERS MAKE HEARTBREAKING DISCOVERY DAYS AFTER MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY
Elite Finnish divers have located the bodies of a team of Italians four days after they disappeared in sea caves in the Maldives. Tragedy struck on Thursday after five – including a mother and daughter – died while attempting to explore…
End of content
No more pages to load