Footage taken on body cameras worn by a group of Italian divers who died while exploring deep-sea caves in the Maldives could reveal how their final moments unfolded.
The group had attempted to explore caves at a depth of around 165ft in the Vaavu Atoll last Thursday, but never resurfaced.
Maldivian authorities are investigating multiple possible factors behind the accident, including whether the group descended far deeper than expected.
A team of expert divers from Finland has recovered the technical equipment, including GoPro cameras worn by some of the group, which officials hope will give them a better understanding of how the tragedy unfolded.
It comes as the bodies of the last two divers – Giorgia Sommacal and Muriel Oddenino – were recovered today, bringing recovery efforts to an end.
The group of five that entered the cave was led by Monica Montefalcone, 51, a University of Genoa professor and marine ecologist who was a regular diver in Maldivian waters in the Indian Ocean, and also included her daughter, Giorgia.
Montefalcone’s body, as well as that of university researcher Federico Gualtieri were recovered on Tuesday.
The body of boat captain and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti was the first to be retrieved last week.

+15
View gallery
Screen grab shows an expert diver swimming through caves in search of the victims’ bodies in the Maldives

+15
View gallery
The body of Giorgia Sommacal was recovered today

+15
View gallery
Researcher Muriel Oddenino was among the group of five divers who died in the Maldives. Her body was recovered from a deep-sea cave today

+15
View gallery
Diving tragedy victim Monica Montefalcone, 51, was a respected marine biologist, TV personality, and professor of Tropical Marine Ecology and Underwater Science at the University of Genoa

+15
View gallery
Gianluca Benedetti, 44, was a diving instructor. His body was the first to be found last week

+15
View gallery
Federico Gualtieri, 31, was a researcher and diver among the five who died in the Maldives last week
He was found at the mouth of the Thinwana Kandu cave, also known as Shark Cave, while the other four were located ‘pretty much together’ in the cavern’s third and final chamber.
Montefalcone’s husband, Carlo Sommacal, said in interviews to Italian media that his wife would have never put her daughter or others at risk.
He described her as ‘one of the best divers in the world’ who had carried out about 5,000 dives and was ‘always conscientious’ and ‘never reckless.’
‘I’m sorry, I wasn’t there, and I’m no expert, and from what I’m seeing and reading, even the experts don’t have definite answers but are merely making hypotheses – lots of them,’ he told Reuters in a WhatsApp message.
Montefalcone was a respected marine biologist, TV personality, and professor of Tropical Marine Ecology and Underwater Science at the University of Genoa. Her daughter, Giorgia, was 22 years old.
Sommacal said on Friday that footage taken on a GoPro camera could reveal the mystery surrounding their deaths.
Speaking to Italian news outlet La Repubblica, the devastated husband said: ‘Monica usually had a GoPro when she went diving.
‘I don’t know if she had one the other day. If they find it, maybe from there we can understand what happened.’
‘She would never have put our daughter’s life or that of others at risk… something must have happened down there,’ he said.
‘Maybe one of them had trouble, maybe the oxygen tanks, I have no idea.’
Sommacal added that one of the divers on the expedition, Benedetti, was ‘meticulous.’
‘He checked everything: the tanks, the weather conditions. He’s not a fool,’ Sommacal said. ‘It must have been fate; they took every precaution possible.’
Authorities are probing whether the divers may have become disoriented due to bad weather and poor visibility on the day of the incident.
The divers were carrying 12-litre oxygen tanks, while Montefalcone was wearing a short diving suit – both unsuitable for the depths at which they were diving.
Investigators are also looking into whether the divers were carrying flashlights and using the ‘Ariadne’s Thread’ – a guide rope required for deep-sea cave expeditions.
Among the theories that have emerged, the possibility that the divers were sucked into a cave by a strong ‘freak’ current is being considered.
According to the president of the Italian Society of Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine, Alfonso Bolognini, the five divers might have been pulled into the crevice by a powerful current called the ‘Venturi effect’.
This phenomenon occurs when flowing water enters a narrow choke point, forcing it to speed up, which creates suction.
Meanwhile, Italian authorities are arranging for the bodies of the divers to be repatriated so that they can carry out autopsies to determine the cause of death.
The Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip has denied authorising or being aware of the deep dive that violated local limits, its lawyer told newspaper Corriere della Sera on Saturday.
Orietta Stella, representing Albatros Top Boat, said the operator ‘did not know’ the group planned to descend beyond 98ft – the recreational diving limit in the Maldives.
That threshold requires special permission from Maldivian maritime authorities, and the tour operator ‘would have never allowed it’, she said.
The dive far exceeded what was planned for a scientific cruise focused on coral sampling at standard depths, Stella added.

+15
View gallery
A Finnish diver searches for the bodies of the Italian tourists in the waters of Vaavu Atoll

+15
View gallery
A diver prepares to enter the water in the Maldives in the search for the team of Italian tourists

+15
View gallery
Maldives National Defence Force divers prepare to take part in a search and recovery operation
The boat operator of the MV Duke of York, Abdul Muhsin Moosa, said the vessel did have permission for recreational depth of up to 98ft.
‘We are sharing these details with the government, as well,’ he said, adding that the divers were briefed on arrival at the boat about Maldives’ recreational diving limits and that they are not allowed to go beyond 98ft.
For recreational dives up to the limit, normal air is compressed with 21 per cent oxygen and 79 per cent nitrogen, but for deeper dives, the oxygen content has to be above 32 per cent, experts said.
For depths reaching at least 164ft, divers are recommended to use at least two cylinders of specialised air each, they said.
The victims were experienced divers, but the equipment used appeared to be standard recreational gear rather than technical equipment suited for deep cave excursions, she said.
Cave diving is a highly technical and dangerous activity that requires specialised training, equipment and strict safety protocols.
Risks increase sharply in environments where divers cannot head straight up and at depth, particularly when conditions are poor.
Experts say it is easy to become disoriented or lost inside caves, particularly as sediment clouds can sharply reduce visibility.
Diving at 164ft also exceeds the maximum depth recommended for recreational divers by most major established scuba certifying agencies, with depths beyond 131ft considered technical diving and requiring specialised training and equipment.
Maldives Presidential Spokesman Mohammed Hussain Shareef said that the cave ‘is so deep that even divers with the best equipment do not try to approach’.
A Maldivian rescue diver, Mohamed Mahudhee, died on Saturday from decompression sickness while attempting to recover the bodies, highlighting the difficulties of diving at such a depth.
Victim Giorgia, whose body was discovered on Wednesday, was going to graduate from university next month, her father told local press.
Her body was recovered alongside Oddenino, a 31-year-old marine biologist and ecologist, who was Montefalcone’s colleague.

+15
View gallery
Sergeant Major Mohammed Mahudhee, a diver for the Maldives coast guard, lost his life while searching for the bodies on Saturday

+15
View gallery
Police and medical personnel hold up a piece of fabric to shield the bodies of two Italian divers being transferred into an ambulance in Male City, the Maldives
She was an experienced diver and authored scientific publications. She was described by a loved one as ‘sweet and sensitive’.
Benedetti, 44, was an operations manager, a diving instructor and a boat captain.
After working in banking and finance for several years, he turned his passion for diving into a full-time career and moved to the Maldives in 2017.
He was the operations manager and skipper aboard the luxury Duke of York, the diving yacht that the group used for their expedition.
He was described by Albatros Top Boat, the Duke of York’s operator, as ‘energetic, extremely sporty, and a lover of reading, classic cinema, and chess’.
Speaking about her son’s death, Benedetti’s mother told Italian news outlet Gazzettino: ‘I heard the news from the embassy. I can’t say anything, and you can only imagine the pain.’
Gualtieri, 31, was a scuba diving instructor and had recently graduated from the University of Genoa with a degree in marine biology and ecology.
He had previously praised his professor, Montefalcone, saying: ‘Ever since I met her, she has always been my guide, encouraging me to follow my dreams and passions.’

+15
View gallery
Members of the Maldives Marine Police and a police boat from the nearby island of Felidhoo during a search and recovery operation in the Vaavu Atoll last week

+15
View gallery
The Maldives, a nation of 1,192 tiny coral islands scattered some 500 miles across the equator in the Indian Ocean, is a luxury holiday destination popular with divers, who often stay at secluded resorts or on dive boats
Diving experts have also been speculating on various hypotheses.
According to local media, one of the most widely accepted hypotheses by the coast guard and experts is oxygen toxicity.
This phenomenon occurs if the tank’s mixture is inadequate, making oxygen toxic at certain depths.
‘At 50 meters (164ft) of depth in the sea, there are several risks; it’s a real tragedy,’ says Alfonso Bolognini, president of the Italian Society of Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine.
‘There are several hypotheses we can make right now: an inadequate breathing mix can create a hyperoxic crisis when there’s an increase in the partial pressure of oxygen in the tissues and blood plasma, which can cause neurological problems.’
‘Inside a cave at 50 meters of depth, all it takes is a problem for a diver or a panic attack for a diver,’ he adds, saying that ‘the agitation causes the water to become cloudy and can impair visibility’.
‘In these cases, the panic component could lead to even fatal errors,’ he said.
It is also unclear whether the Italians’ dive, being at a depth of over 160ft, was regulated, according to the MNDF.
Meanwhile, it has been revealed that there was no local guide to accompany the group into the cave, as required by Maldivian law.
The Maldives, a nation of 1,192 tiny coral islands scattered some 500 miles across the equator in the Indian Ocean, is a luxury holiday destination popular with divers, who often stay at secluded resorts or on dive boats.
While local regulations allow dives to a maximum depth of 98ft, experienced professionals are known to go deeper.
Diving and water-sport-related accidents are relatively rare in the South Asian nation, although several fatal incidents have been reported in recent years.
News
‘She has vanished into thin air’: Bush tracker joins desperate search for suburban mum who disappeared on a walk two weeks ago – as expert spots worrying detail in CCTV footage
An expert bush tracker has joined the desperate search for a missing grandmother who ‘vanished into thin air’ two weeks ago, leaving her family to beg for answers. Rita-Marie Collin, 60, was last seen on Tuesday, May 5, leaving her…
EVICTION FEARS, A QUIET STREET AND A DEVASTATING DISCOVERY — MELBOURNE NEIGHBOUR REVEALS WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE COUPLE WERE FOUND DE-AD
A couple found dead inside a home in Melbourne‘s west in a suspected murder-suicide had been facing eviction. On Tuesday, police tape remained sprawled on a wooden fence outside the Melton Close property in Werribee, west of Melbourne. While it remains…
“MY BEAUTIFUL GIRLS ARE G0NE” — FATHER’S EMOTIONAL TRIBUTE AFTER THREE SISTERS FOUND DE-AD OFF BRIGHTON BEACH AS POLICE HUNT FOR ANSWERS
Three sisters whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach were named today for the first time. Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, died early last Wednesday morning after getting into trouble in the water. The…
THEN WE HEARD THE SH0TS… EVERYONE STARTED RUNNING — WITNESSES RECOUNT CHAOTIC MOMENTS AFTER DE-ADLY CANLEY HEIGHTS SH00TING
A man has died and four others are in a serious condition following an alleged shooting in Sydney’s south-west overnight. The 28-year-old man died at Liverpool Hospital shortly after presenting there with multiple wounds. He is yet to be formally identified….
SH0CK NEW COURT TWIST… — AUSTRALIA’S YOUNGEST CONVICTED MU-RDE-RER ADMITS TO FURTHER OFFENCES AS CASE REIGNITES NATIONAL DEBATE
A boast by Australia’s youngest convicted murderer that police would never find what was on his phone led to his re-arrest for downloading sexually violent images and child abuse material. The man, known for legal reasons as SLD, spent almost…
THE BEST PERIOD DRAMA SINCE DOWNTON ABBEY? — VIEWERS ARE RACING THROUGH THE NEW SEASON OF THIS YORKSHIRE FAMILY SAGA
Viewers are binge-watching Channel 5’s smash hit period drama, The Hardacres, which returned with a second season on Thursday night. The rags-to-riches tale, based on CL Skelton’s The Hardacre Saga novels, is set in 1890s Yorkshire and follows the titular Hardacre family…
End of content
No more pages to load