Contrary to online posts, London’s Metropolitan Police is investigating Madeleine McCann’s disappearance and Britain’s Home Office (interior ministry) is funding the operation, a spokesperson for the police said.
McCann, a 3-year-old British girl, disappeared during a family holiday in Portugal in 2007, sparking a massive search that caught global media attention. German authorities identified a suspect in 2020, who has denied responsibility.
Portuguese and German police conducted a search between June 3 and 5 this year in Portugal’s southern Algarve region for new evidence related to her disappearance.
A video shared on social media, opens new tab in early June shows a person stating that the Metropolitan Police is not conducting an investigation of the McCann case 18 years after Madeleine’s disappearance despite receiving ÂŁ100,000 ($134,920) for that purpose from the British government.

Reuters Image
The Met Police said in an email to Reuters that it had received funding from the Home Office for its involvement in the McCann case, known as Operation Grange, opens new tab, for the financial year 2025/2026.
Advertisement · Scroll to continue
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Cranwell, who oversees the British investigation into McCann’s disappearance, said: “The Met’s investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann has been active since 2011. A dedicated team has always been assigned to the case, to try to understand what happened on the night of Thursday, 3 May, 2007.”
The Met Police was not present for the latest searches carried out in Portugal but said it would support international colleagues where necessary.
Leaving No Stone Unturned Limited, opens new tab, which has McCann’s parents among its directors, did not respond to requests for comment.
The minister of state at the Home Office, Lord Hanson of Flint, told parliament in February, opens new tab: “Special Grant funding of up to ÂŁ192,000 was agreed for provision to the Metropolitan Police Service for the costs of Operation Grange in financial year 2024/25. In-year costs will not be available until after the conclusion of the current financial year.”
Hanson said the Home Office reviews the funding annually, and the department liaises regularly with the Operation Grange investigation team to discuss progress and the use of funds.
The total expenditure to date since 2011 for Operation Grange, including financial year 2023/24, is ÂŁ13.2 million, he added in the statement earlier this year.
The Home Office declined to comment.
News
THEN WE HEARD THE SH0TS… EVERYONE STARTED RUNNING — WITNESSES RECOUNT CHAOTIC MOMENTS AFTER DE-ADLY CANLEY HEIGHTS SH00TING
A man has died and four others are in a serious condition following an alleged shooting in Sydney’s south-west overnight. The 28-year-old man died at Liverpool Hospital shortly after presenting there with multiple wounds. He is yet to be formally identified….
SH0CK NEW COURT TWIST… — AUSTRALIA’S YOUNGEST CONVICTED MU-RDE-RER ADMITS TO FURTHER OFFENCES AS CASE REIGNITES NATIONAL DEBATE
A boast by Australia’s youngest convicted murderer that police would never find what was on his phone led to his re-arrest for downloading sexually violent images and child abuse material. The man, known for legal reasons as SLD, spent almost…
THE BEST PERIOD DRAMA SINCE DOWNTON ABBEY? — VIEWERS ARE RACING THROUGH THE NEW SEASON OF THIS YORKSHIRE FAMILY SAGA
Viewers are binge-watching Channel 5’s smash hit period drama, The Hardacres, which returned with a second season on Thursday night. The rags-to-riches tale, based on CL Skelton’s The Hardacre Saga novels, is set in 1890s Yorkshire and follows the titular Hardacre family…
NETFLIX’S NEW 8-EPISODE CRIME THRILLER HAS VIEWERS LOSING SLEEP — THE CAT-AND-MOUSE SERIES EVERYONE IS BINGEING WITHOUT STOPPING
Netflix viewers have been binge-watching Nemesis, the gritty new crime drama that landed on the streamer on Thursday. Told across eight episodes, the series stars Matthew Law (Abbott Elementary, Ahsoka) and Y’lan Noel (Lady in the Lake, Insecure), who play Detective Isaiah…
MAFS UK UNDER INTENSE SCRUTINY… — POLICE INVESTIGATION REPORTED AFTER SERIOUS ALLEGATIONS AS FUTURE OF SHOW THROWN INTO DOUBT
Married at First Sight UK likely faces a police probe and the axe after two women claimed they were raped by their on-screen husbands – and one alleged victim said she was forced to have an abortion. Shona Manderson, who has waived her…
8 YEARS LATER… MEGHAN MARKLE RELEASES NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN WEDDING PHOTOS WITH HARRY — BUT FANS CAN’T STOP TALKING ABOUT WHO WASN’T INCLUDED
Meghan Markle celebrated her eighth wedding anniversary with Prince Harry today, as she shared a collection of previously unseen photographs from their big day on Instagram. ‘Eight years ago today…’, she captioned the two posts, with one showing a glimpse of the…
End of content
No more pages to load