At least 270 bodies have been recovered after a London-bound Air India plane crashed in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad, as a rescue team continues to search the site of Indiaâs worst aviation disaster in three decades.
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, with 242 people on board and 125,000 litres of fuel, lost altitude seconds after takeoff on Thursday and crashed into a residential area, killing all but one on board and at least two dozen others on the ground.
Dhaval Gameti, a doctor at Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad, told The Associated Press news agency on Saturday that they have received 270 bodies so far.
Most bodies were charred or mutilated, and the local authorities are working to identify them by matching DNA samples as their relatives waited to perform their last rites. Authorities said it normally takes up to 72 hours to complete DNA matching.

Nearly 10 bodies â not of the passengers â found at the crash site have been returned to their families after identification, a local official told Al Jazeera on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.
Of the 242 passengers and crew on board the Air India plane, 169 were Indian nationals, 53 were British, seven were Portuguese, and one was Canadian.
The lone survivor, Vishwash Kumar Ramesh, 40, is under observation at the Civil Hospital for his impact wounds. Gameti said he was âdoing very well and will be ready to be discharged any time soonâ.
(Al Jazeera)
Indiaâs Civil Aviation Minister, Ram Mohan Naidu Kinjarapu, said the flightâs digital data recorder, or the black box, was recovered from a rooftop near the crash site by the Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB), which is leading the investigation into the crash. He said the government will look into all possible theories of what could have caused the crash.
Sign up for Al Jazeera
Breaking News Alert
The AAIB said it was working with âfull forceâ to extract the data, which is expected to reveal information about the engine and control settings. Meanwhile, forensic teams are still looking for a second black box.
Jeff Guzzetti, an aviation safety consultant and former crash investigator for both the US National Transportation Safety Board and Federal Aviation Administration, told the AP the investigators should be able to answer some important questions about what caused the crash as soon as next week as long as the flight data recorder is in good shape.
Guzzetti said the investigators are likely looking into whether wing flaps were set correctly, the engine lost power, alarms were going off inside the cockpit, and if the planeâs crew correctly logged information about the hot temperature outside, and the weight of the fuel and passengers. Mistakes in the data could result in the wing flaps being set incorrectly, he added.
There are currently about 1,200 of the 787 Dreamliner aircraft worldwide, and this was the first deadly crash in 16 years of operation, according to experts. The United States planemaker Boeing, whose planes have been plagued by safety issues on other types of aircraft, said it was in touch with Air India and stood âready to support themâ over the incident.

News
IT WAS ALL SET UP? â KONRAD BENJAMIN CLAIMS KARL STEFANOVIC INTERVIEW WAS âSTAGEDâ, SPARKING EXPLOSIVE DEBATE OVER WHAT HAPPENED OFF-CAMERA
A popular political commentator has questioned whether he was âstitched upâ by Karl Stefanovic when he walked into an interview only to face off with a rival guest. Konrad Benjamin, 37, runs the YouTube channel Punterâs Politics, which analyses issues…
30 YEARS AFTER AUSTRALIAâS DARKEST CRI-MES⊠SNOWTOWN FIGURE JAMES VLASSAKIS IS FINALLY UNMASKED AGAIN
The youngest of the three infamous Snowtown killers has been pictured for the first time. The Court of Appeal on Tuesday lifted a gag order on James Spyridon Vlassakis’ image, which has been in place for more than 25 years….
Unmasked: Campbelltown man accused of ki-lling a woman and two boys – as new details emerge of his alleged triple-0 call…and the final act cops allege he planned to carry out
A man accused of stabbing a woman and two boys to death had allegedly planned to kill himself, but instead he allegedly phoned triple-0 and said: ‘I kill … with knives.’ Md Shomon Ahamed, 47, was arrested at a property in…
PRIME VIDEOâS NEW 8-EPISODE ROMANCE IS ALREADY BREAKING HEARTS â THE ADAPTATION OF A âBREATHTAKINGâ BESTSELLER ABOUT FIRST LOVE FANS SAY THEYâRE NOT EMOTIONALLY READY FOR
Calling all romance fans! Prime Videoâs upcoming eight-part series, Every Year After, hits TV screens this June â and it’s shaping up to be a must-watch for anyone who loves a messy love story. The series, which comes from Sex and the…
âSTAINâS NAME STILL HITS DIFFERENTâŠâ â RICO RECKLEZZ OPENS UP ABOUT WUGAWORLD LOSS, PAIN, LOYALTY AND THE EMOTIONS THAT NEVER LEFT
Rico Recklezz is back in headlines after addressing the legacy of Stain WugaWorld and speaking openly about the emotions that still remain years after the loss. The remarks quickly circulated across social media, drawing intense reactions from fans familiar with…
SOCIAL MEDIA BAN SH0CKER⊠â MAFS BRIDE BEC ZACHARIA HIT WITH PERMANENT INSTAGRAM BAN AFTER $20,000 LIE EXPLODES
Married At First Sight’s Bec Zacharia has been permanently banned from Instagram just days after her account was temporarily taken down for violating guidelines. The Adelaide-based bride, 35, confirmed to Daily Mail that Instagram has rejected her appeal overnight and…
End of content
No more pages to load