A popular political commentator has questioned whether he was ‘stitched up’ by Karl Stefanovic when he walked into an interview only to face off with a rival guest.
Konrad Benjamin, 37, runs the YouTube channel Punter’s Politics, which analyses issues such as government corruption and gas policy.
In April, Benjamin told the Senate Select Committee on Taxation of Gas Resources that Australian gas was being given away for ‘free’ to foreign corporations.
Senator Susan McDonald, who is a staunch opponent of further taxes on Australian gas, hit back with a fiery statement after attending the same hearing.
‘We also saw repeated claims that Australia’s gas is somehow being “given away for free”,’ she wrote online.
‘Yet Treasury officials themselves pushed back on that rhetoric, questioning the misuse of data and assumptions underpinning those arguments. The reality is so inconvenient for activists that they have to make up falsehoods.’
So when Benjamin arrived for the interview with Stefanovic, he was surprised to find that he would not be speaking to the former Today Show host one-on-one.
Instead, he would go head-to-head with Senator McDonald, feeling like what he described as an ‘underprepared university student’.

Konrad Benjamin from Punters Politics and Senator Susan McDonald are pictured

Benjamin said he only found out about his co-host on the Karl Stefanovic Show when he walked into the studio. He later realised he had received an email at 5.22pm the day before
It was only when Benjamin checked his inbox that he discovered Stefanovic’s producer had emailed him about the changes at 5.22pm the day before.
‘I was under the impression that it was me and him. No one said they were even looking to line up another guest,’ Benjamin told the Daily Mail on Tuesday.
‘I roll in and, then two minutes later, Susan McDonald rolls in, and I look at Karl, I’m like, “Mate, what is going on here? Is this a stitch up?”
‘And he looks at me like, “No, no, I would never do that. No way”. And the assistant’s like, “No, no, we would never do that”.
‘I have someone who helps me with my emails, because I can’t keep tabs on everything… and the whole show had been lined up via text and calling. Even in the call, I (asked): “What are you going to ask about, etc.” Nothing was mentioned.
‘I thought I was going to have a nice little bro-down sesh with Karl, like he does with all his billionaire pals who come on the show, like Clive Palmer. But no, it turned out to be a debate, so just like an unprepared university student, in I went.
‘I thought, maybe, Karl is a podcast bro now, and he’s not up to some tricks to get any salacious headlines. But who knows, maybe it’s part and parcel of showbiz, and I should have just always checked my email every evening before an event.’
The Daily Mail understands Stefanovic’s team was ‘surprised’ when Benjamin didn’t know the senator would be attending and gave him the chance to withdraw.
Join the discussion
Should political commentators always be warned before debating rivals live on air?
What’s your view?
McDonald and Benjamin clashed repeatedly throughout the 50-minute interview, including when the senator accused the podcaster of providing his listeners with inaccurate information.
‘This is the problem, because you have a fantastic audience and voice, you can say things that aren’t true. And you never have to support it,’ she said.
Benjamin said: ‘Actually, have you checked any of my Instagram? Every single claim I make is cited. Every single claim has an economist from a university, a journalist who’s done their research.
‘Every single claim I make is verified. The claims you’re making come directly from the gas lobby. That’s where we punters can tell.’
But McDonald doubled down on her own credentials, telling Benjamin: ‘So, the bit that you’re missing is that I did economics at university.
‘I’m an accountant by trade. I’m a butcher by trade. And I come from the world where things don’t get explained on TikTok. This is hard stuff. This is generational stuff.’
Benjamin quipped back: ‘So, the stuff you cite is too hard for silly old me.’
Despite the confusion, Benjamin said he had invited Stefanovic onto his Punter’s Politics podcast ‘for a nice chat’.

Benjamin is pictured centre with Independent Monique Ryan and Senator David Pocock
‘He’s indicated he’s open to it,’ he said.
‘The friendship is still pending.’
Stefanovic and fellow media veteran Eddie McGuire have signed to co-host a new series, called The Long Weekend, for Australian Radio Network (ARN).
The Long Weekend will see the pair, joined by guests, discuss the biggest news, sport, and entertainment moments of the week.
The format promises three hours of music, banter, big personalities, big opinions, and no-holds-barred discussions that will set the tone for the weekend ahead.
SOURCE: https://www.dailymail.com/news/article-15829307/karl-stefanovic-susan-mcdonald-gas-tax.html
News
30 YEARS AFTER AUSTRALIA’S DARKEST CRI-MES… SNOWTOWN FIGURE JAMES VLASSAKIS IS FINALLY UNMASKED AGAIN
The youngest of the three infamous Snowtown killers has been pictured for the first time. The Court of Appeal on Tuesday lifted a gag order on James Spyridon Vlassakis’ image, which has been in place for more than 25 years….
Unmasked: Campbelltown man accused of ki-lling a woman and two boys – as new details emerge of his alleged triple-0 call…and the final act cops allege he planned to carry out
A man accused of stabbing a woman and two boys to death had allegedly planned to kill himself, but instead he allegedly phoned triple-0 and said: ‘I kill … with knives.’ Md Shomon Ahamed, 47, was arrested at a property in…
PRIME VIDEO’S NEW 8-EPISODE ROMANCE IS ALREADY BREAKING HEARTS — THE ADAPTATION OF A ‘BREATHTAKING’ BESTSELLER ABOUT FIRST LOVE FANS SAY THEY’RE NOT EMOTIONALLY READY FOR
Calling all romance fans! Prime Video’s upcoming eight-part series, Every Year After, hits TV screens this June – and it’s shaping up to be a must-watch for anyone who loves a messy love story. The series, which comes from Sex and the…
‘STAIN’S NAME STILL HITS DIFFERENT…’ — RICO RECKLEZZ OPENS UP ABOUT WUGAWORLD LOSS, PAIN, LOYALTY AND THE EMOTIONS THAT NEVER LEFT
Rico Recklezz is back in headlines after addressing the legacy of Stain WugaWorld and speaking openly about the emotions that still remain years after the loss. The remarks quickly circulated across social media, drawing intense reactions from fans familiar with…
SOCIAL MEDIA BAN SH0CKER… — MAFS BRIDE BEC ZACHARIA HIT WITH PERMANENT INSTAGRAM BAN AFTER $20,000 LIE EXPLODES
Married At First Sight’s Bec Zacharia has been permanently banned from Instagram just days after her account was temporarily taken down for violating guidelines. The Adelaide-based bride, 35, confirmed to Daily Mail that Instagram has rejected her appeal overnight and…
PAST OF SUSPECT EMERGES AFTER CAMPBELLTOWN HOME H0RROR… — MAN CHARGED OVER ALLEGED TRIPLE MU-RDER AS POLICE REVEAL NEW DETAILS ABOUT HIS RELATIONSHIP TO VICTIMS
A Sydney father has been charged with murdering his wife and two children in an alleged domestic violence attack police have described as among the most brutal they have seen. The 47-year-old was arrested at a Campbelltown property in south-western Sydney on Monday night…
End of content
No more pages to load