Investigators looking for new clues relating to Madeleine McCann‘s disappearance found two buried guns near the resort where she vanished from, it has been revealed.
German authorities who flew to Portugal last week launched fresh searches through Atalaia – a stretch of scrubland littered with rubbish and graffiti-covered buildings linked by a network of dusty tracks known in Portuguese as the Fisherman’s Trail.
Connecting Praia da Luz with the nearby town of Lagos, the track is a popular hiking route for tourists, but for several days last week it was cordoned off for members of the BKA – Germany‘s equivalent of the FBI – to conduct searches.
Olive Press reported that the two firearms have now been sent back to Germany for analysis, along with bone fragments and ‘bits of old adult clothing.’
But not everyone is happy with how the operation, estimated to have cost £300,000, went.
One officer told MailOnline: ‘We always knew it was going to be a waste of time but we have to show cooperation.
‘What did they expect to find after 18 years? We were happy to work with them but we knew it would be a waste of time.’
But Portuguese media reported the search turned up enough material that investigators deemed worthy of further analysis at a laboratory.

Officers pack up a tent at the end of the day of searching at one of the base camps close to Praia De Luz, Portugal

A search team close to Praia De Luz, Portugal, where searches are being carried out by officers investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann

Christian Brueckner (pictured) is the prime suspect in the disappearance of the young girl

Madeleine McCann (pictured) vanished in May 2007 while holidaying with her family in Portugal.
‘During the search, several items were seized that will be examined further by the German police,’ reported CNN Portugal.
The materials will now be carefully analyzed in the police laboratory ‘to assess their potential relevance to the investigation’, according the newspaper Correio da Manha.
It comes as convicted rapist and paedophile Christian Brueckner – the man who German prosecutors believe was behind Madeleine’s disappearance – draws closer to his release from prison.
German police announced in 2020 that it had opened an investigation into Brueckner, 48, connecting him with Madeleine’s abduction and murder.
But he has not been charged – and the sands of time are running out.
He has vehemently denied the allegations.
Brueckner is serving a seven-year sentence for raping a 71-year-old woman, but is due for release in September and has already vowed to leave Germany.
It means prosecutors will have trouble bringing him to court should they find enough evidence to charge him in connection with Madeleine’s disappearance.
His earliest possible release date is September 17 – though his lawyer said he would have to pay €1,500 (£1,300) in outstanding fines from a series of motor offences to leave then.
Brueckner’s lawyer Philipp Marquort told MailOnline: ‘I haven’t had a chance to speak with him yet about the searches and I am not going to comment on what has been happening in Portugal.

Madeleine McCann went missing in 2007 while on holiday with her family in Portugal
Convicted rapist and paedophile Christian Brueckner, 48, has been suspected by German prosecutors as being the man behind Madeleine’s ‘abduction and murder’
‘What I will say is that I don’t think he will be coming out in September as he doesn’t have any money to pay the fines because it went on his legal fees, so I can’t see him leaving prison until early next year.
‘He will probably see the news on the TV in his cell and he will talk about it when he calls me next time but I still do think when he is freed he will leave Germany.’
Meanwhile, German prosecutors have been accused by Portuguese media of failing to properly investigate a claim that Madeleine was run over by a drunk driver.
Portuguese officers allegedly received a tip about a British man who was ‘covering up a dark secret’ about his German wife running over the young girl while drunk, then hiding the body.
But German authorities rejected a Portuguese request to use an undercover police officer to try to befriend the wife and firm up their suspicions, Correio da Manha claimed.
The report – which says a sister of the British husband made the tip-off to UK police in 2018 – said: ‘German prosecutors were asked to authorise a covert police operation with someone posing as a friend of the woman’s and trying to get her to confess, but the courts refused.
‘It was decided to continue solely with the investigation into suspect Christian Brueckner, rejecting other possibilities.’
Correio da Manha said the mystery couple were ‘alcoholics’ and the wife had been drinking near the Ocean Club on the night Madeleine went missing.

Investigators at the site of the searches last week

Police searched the remote Portuguese area for three days

Permission had been given to search the derelict outbuildings on the scrubland close to where Brueckner used to live.
It also claimed the couple’s neighbour had told police she heard them having a row the day after the three-year-old disappeared.
She said she heard the man repeatedly yelling ‘Why did you bring her?’
Portuguese police are said to have got the knock-back from the Germans after urging them to look more closely into the possibility the ‘German wife’ had driven home ‘drunk’ with Madeleine after running her over, then enlisting her husband’s help in disposing the body at sea.
News
A FAMILY HOLIDAY TURNED INTO EVERY PARENT’S WORST NIGHTMARE… — A British baby has tragically d!ed from E.coli poisoning after staying at a five-star hotel in Egypt, while two other children reportedly suffered serious health complications.
A British baby has died while two other children have suffered serious health problems after developing a gastric illness while staying at a five-star resort in Egypt. One-year-old Ariella Mann became ill with E.coli after she returned home from a stay…
“MY DAD IS NOT DOING GREAT..!” — Mike Tindall has shared a heartbreaking update about his father’s ongoing battle with Parkinson’s Disease, admitting the situation has become increasingly difficult for the family.
Mike Tindall has shared an emotional update about his father’s ongoing battle with Parkinson’s Disease, admitting that the situation has become increasingly difficult for the family as he revealed: “My dad is not doing great.” The former England rugby star…
“ONE HEARTFELT DETAIL CHANGED EVERYTHING…” — Princess Catherine’s emotional return to solo overseas duties has completely captivated Italy, with locals affectionately calling her “Catarina” as crowds gathered to welcome her.
Nestled in the Italian hills at a wine estate featuring hand-painted frescoed ceilings, the Princess of Wales kicked off her heels in her suite on Wednesday evening. Catherine phoned home and gave her husband William and their children the news they must…
“MY KIDS NEED TO SEE THEIR GRANDFATHER..!” — Prince Harry is reportedly hoping to reunite Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet with King Charles III during a possible Balmoral visit this summer.
Prince Harry is reportedly becoming increasingly determined to rebuild a connection between his children and King Charles, amid continuing tensions between the Sussexes and the Royal Family. According to recent reports, the Duke of Sussex believes that Prince Archie and…
“WILLIAM IS CAPABLE OF GREAT BELLOWING TANTRUMS” — New claims about Prince William’s private temperament are raising eyebrows after reports suggested his explosive outbursts once left even King Charles deeply unsettled.
These claims allege Prince William has a fiery temper Allegedly, Prince William can display a fiery temper behind palace doors despite his calm and polished public image. The future king is often described as charming, patient and approachable during royal engagements. However,…
SNL FANS WERE COMPLETELY CONFUSED AFTER THE SEASON FINALE OPENED WITH “WILL FERRELL” WALKING ON STAGE — ONLY FOR THE REAL WILL FERRELL TO SUDDENLY APPEAR SECONDS LATER!
Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith stepped out instead of the “Saturday Night Live” alum. Host Will Ferrell and rocker Chad Smith on ‘Saturday Night Live’.Credit: NBC Saturday Night Live alum Will Ferrell hosted the season 51 finale. When it was…
End of content
No more pages to load