Treasury modelling that predicts rents would rise by just $2 a week under Labor’s housing plans has come under fire as renters across Australia report increases of up to $100.
Housing Minister Clare O’Neil defended the government’s controversial budget measures during a fiery debate with Nationals Senator Bridget McKenzie on Wednesday morning, insisting the changes would have “almost no impact on rents” despite mounting backlash from renters.
Sunrise viewers flooded the text line with stories of soaring rental costs, with some claiming their weekly rent had jumped by as much as $100 since the federal budget announcement.
“We’ve got a housing system in this country which is broken and it’s really hurting millions of people around our country,” O’Neil said.
“I can be really honest with you and say that governments of all political stripes, Labor and Liberal, have not done enough about this problem over decades and that has changed since our government came to power.”
The government’s housing changes mean that from July next year, new property investors will only be able to access negative gearing concessions on newly built homes, while existing investment properties will retain current arrangements.
“If you have an investment property right now, your negative gearing arrangements remain in place. We are not changing those arrangements,” O’Neil said.
“When it comes to the changes that are in the federal budget, there are two things we are doing: we are levelling the playing field for first home buyers and we are building more homes for the country.”
Housing Minister Clare O’Neil and Nationals Senator Bridget McKenzie have clashed over housing policy in a heated Sunrise debate. Credit: Sunrise
O’Neil repeatedly pointed to Treasury, Commonwealth Bank and Grattan Institute modelling suggesting rents would rise by only about $2 a week under the reforms.
“Overall, the pressure on rents will actually be downwards, that’s because we are building more homes and rental prices are set based on how many rental properties we have and how many people are in the market,” she said.
Despite viewers sharing stories of dramatic rent increases, O’Neil remained adamant the changes would not significantly impact renters.
“We’ll see 75,000 rental households today turn into first home owning households because of the changes that we’ve made,” she said.
But McKenzie accused the government of ignoring the real-world impact already being felt by renters and warned the modelling would become “another broken promise”.
“If you are flooding the market with two million more people wanting a rental property to live in at the lower end of the market, you are putting pressure on the system,” McKenzie said.
“Because Labor isn’t taking the tough decisions to slash spending and put downward pressure on inflation like everywhere else in the world, we are going to continue to see these horrific price rises going forward.”
She challenged the government’s reliance on Treasury projections and demanded it release the government modelling.
“Experts are also saying, Clare, that rents aren’t going to go up by $2 a week under your government’s plans. They’re going to go up between 3 per cent and 10 per cent,” McKenzie said.
O’Neil stood firm, arguing the government’s broader housing strategy would eventually ease rental pressure by increasing supply and helping more Australians transition from renting into home ownership.
“We are the first Australian government in 70 years in this country to have a big comprehensive plan for how we’re dealing with housing,” she said.
Source: https://7news.com.au/sunrise/housing-minister-defends-claim-rents-are-increasing-by-just-2-in-fiery-sunrise-clash-c-22308889
News
WE LOST A GOOD MAN — RACING VICTORIA MOURNS DE-ATH OF TRAINER STEVE RICHARDS AFTER TRAGIC FALL
The Victorian racing community is mourning the death of veteran trainer Steve Richards following a tragic accident last week. The 70-year-old had been in a coma after falling out of a tram and hitting his head on the ground in…
FROM ‘DREAM COMPOUND’ TO GROWING CONTROVERSY? — NEW CLAIMS ABOUT BLAKE LIVELY AND RYAN REYNOLDS’ PROJECT SPARK QUESTIONS BEHIND THE SCENES
Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds’ sprawling upstate New York dream compound has been hit with more than $2.1 million in unpaid contractor debt, the Daily Mail can reveal – raising fresh questions about what has been going on behind the scenes at…
MYSTERY SUBSTANCE SPARKS MAJOR EMERGENCY — THREE DE-AD AS FIRST RESPONDERS ALSO FALL ILL DURING NEW MEXICO INCIDENT
Three people have died and 19 others were rushed to hospital after coming into contact with an unknown substance. Authorities were called to a home in Mountainair, New Mexico, on Wednesday to a suspected overdose involving an unidentified substance. According to…
FIRST RESPONDERS BECAME PATIENTS… — DE-ADLY NEW MEXICO SCENE TURNS INTO HAZMAT EMERGENCY AFTER EXPOSURE TO UNKNOWN MATERIAL
Three people have died and 19 others were rushed to hospital after coming into contact with an unknown substance. Authorities were called to a home in Mountainair, New Mexico, on Wednesday to a suspected overdose involving an unidentified substance. According to…
‘THIS FELT TOO REAL…’ — CHANNEL 4’S BRUTAL NEW FIVE-PART DRAMA IS BEING CALLED ONE OF THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE WATCHES OF THE YEAR
A “brutal” new Channel 4 drama is set to leave viewers gripped. Five years after the success of It’s A Sin, award-winning screenwriter Russell T Davies returns to Channel 4 to explore the most corrosive forces facing the LGBTQ+ community today. Five-part…
‘THE INTERROGATION SCENES BROKE ME…’ — CHANNEL 5 DRAMA REVISITING THE MCCANN CASE HAS VIEWERS SHAKEN BY THE MOMENT A GRIEVING MOTHER BECAME THE CENTRE OF SUSPICION
Under Suspicion: Kate McCann is worth your time Under Suspicion: Kate McCann may not glean anything new, nor will it sway any dead-set minds when it comes to Madeleine McCann. But it is riveting, emotionally fraught television, and one of the…
End of content
No more pages to load