
International headlines from ABC NewsCatch up on the developing stories from around the globe making headlines.
MANADO, Indonesia — The number of people saved from an Indonesian passenger ferry that caught fire at sea rose to 575, rescuers said Monday, but three died and two remained missing.
The KM Barcelona V-A caught fire around midday Sunday while making its regular half-day journey between two ports in North Sulawesi province, from Melonguane to Manado , according to First Adm. Franky Pasuna Sihombing, chief of the Manado navy base.
A coast guard ship, six rescue vessels and several inflatable boats were deployed in the rescue operation, Sihombing said. The crews pulled many people from the sea and took them to nearby islands, and local fishermen also saved some survivors wearing life jackets as they were drifting in the choppy waters.
Photos and videos circulated on social media showed terrified passengers, mostly wearing life jackets, jumping into the sea as orange flames and black smoke billowed from the burning vessel.
Authorities are still investigating the cause of the fire that began in the ferry’s stern and was extinguished within an hour, Sihombing said.
The ferry’s manifest initially registered only 280 passengers and 15 crew members, but by Monday afternoon Manado’s Search and Rescue Agency confirmed 575 survivors had been rescued, including a 2-month-old baby whose lungs were filled with seawater. The baby is now in a stable condition at a hospital.
Three bodies recovered, including a pregnant woman, and rescuers are searching for two passengers reportedly still missing, said the agency in a statement.
It is common for the number of passengers on a boat or ferry to differ from the manifest in Indonesia. This discrepancy can contribute to accidents and can complicate search and rescue efforts, Sihombing said.
The capacity of the ferry is 600 people.
Indonesia is an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands where ferries are a common method of travel. Disasters occur regularly, with weak safety enforcement often blamed.
A speedboat carrying 18 people capsized during a storm July 14, and all its occupants were found rescued by the next day. Earlier in the month, a ferry sank near Indonesia’s resort island of Bali, leaving at least 19 dead and 16 others missing. A two-week search operation involved more than 600 rescuers, three navy ships, 15 boats, a helicopter and divers.
News
WE ARE VERY CONCERNED — POLICE RELEASE NEW DETAILS AFTER CCTV REVIEW IN SEARCH FOR BABY ALEJANDRO, REVEALING TWO PEOPLE MAY HOLD KEY ANSWERS
Police launch urgent search for missing five-month-old boy Alejandro Templo Alejandro Templo, aged five-months, is described as being of Caucasian appearance, 40cm-50cm tall, of medium build with fair hair and black eyes – he was last seen at a home…
POLICE ISSUE URGENT NEW UPDATE IN SEARCH FOR MISSING FIVE-MONTH-OLD ALEJANDRO TEMPLO — INVESTIGATORS FOLLOWING CRITICAL LEADS AS TIME BECOMES EVERYTHING
A desperate search for a missing five-month-old boy is underway as police say they hold ‘serious concerns’ for the infant. Alejandro Templo was last seen at a home in Kerwin Circuit, Hebersham, on Friday. Officers have begun inquiries into the…
UNDERWORLD SH0CKWAVES: AUSTRALIAN MAN GU-NNED DOWN AT HCM CITY RESTAURANT REPORTEDLY HAD DEEP GANG CONNECTIONS — HIS IDENTITY LEAVES MANY STUNNED
A senior member of the so-called Coconut Cartel, a gang locked in a months-long feud with the notorious Alameddine crime family, has been shot dead in Vietnam. Gangland police are investigating whether the shooting of Lorenzo Laemalu in Ho Chi…
BREAKING: POLICE UPDATE SEARCH FOR TWO FOREIGN SUSPECTS — NEW CCTV CLUE ‘HEATS UP’ V-I-E-T-N-AM MANHUNT IN DE-ADLY UNDERWORLD CASE
URGENT MANHUNT: Vietnamese Police Hunt Two Australian Nationals Linked to Deadly Homicide Case in Ho Chi Minh City Authorities in southern Vietnam have launched an urgent search operation for two foreign nationals believed to be connected to a murder investigation…
POLICE REVEAL NEW DETAILS IN V-I-E-T-N-AM HOMICIDE HUNT — CCTV REPORTEDLY SHOWS FINAL MOMENTS BEFORE FEARED UNDERWORLD FIGURE WAS SH0T AS TWO FOREIGN SUSPECTS VANISH
URGENT MANHUNT: Vietnamese Police Hunt Two Australian Nationals Linked to Deadly Homicide Case in Ho Chi Minh City Authorities in southern Vietnam have launched an urgent search operation for two foreign nationals believed to be connected to a murder investigation…
CCTV REPORTEDLY CAPTURES FINAL MOMENTS BEFORE FEARED UNDERWORLD FIGURE IS SH0T IN V-I-E-T-N-AM — INVESTIGATORS FEAR ESCALATION
A senior leader of the notorious Coconut Cartel has been shot dead in Vietnam, as harrowing footage of his final moments alive emerged. Lorenzo Lemalu, 24, a former associate of the Alameddine crime family, was ambushed with bullets outside a restaurant in…
End of content
No more pages to load