The grandparents, aunt and uncle of French child Emile have been questioned for the first time since he vanished nearly three years ago.
Emile’s grandparents, Philippe and Anne Vedovini, and two of their children, Maximin and Marthe Vedovini spoke to the investigating judges of the criminal division of Aix-en-Provence on Tuesday.
It was the first time the group of four have spoken on two-year-old Emile Soleil’s mysterious July 8, 2023, disappearance from his grandparent’s home in Haut-Vernet.
According to local reports, each family member was heard for an hour as civil parties by the two magistrates in charge of the case.
On March 25, 2024, the group of four were taken into custody for ‘voluntary homicide’ and ‘concealing a corpse’, before being released 48 hours later without charge.
But the public prosecutor of Aix-en-Provence, Jean-Luc Blachon said the possibility of a family connection has not been ruled out. Since then the family members have filed civil suits in the case.
‘This is obviously a very important step for my client, given that her last hearings were conducted while she was in police custody. This time, she was being heard as a civil party,’ Anne Vedovini’s lawyer, Julien Pinelli, told Le Parisien.
On November 8, the toddler’s grandparents, alongside their lawyers, visited the village of Haut-Vernet where Emile disappeared.

+6
View gallery
Émile Soleil went missing from a sleepy Alpine village in France in 2023

+6
View gallery
Grandfather Philippe Vedovini at the funeral of little Émile in Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume on February 8, 2025

+6
View gallery
Anne Vedovini, 59, was arrested with her husband. Emile Soleil had been staying with his grandparents at the time of his disappearance
Part of his bones, including his skull and clothes, were found nine months later, on March 30, 2024, by a hiker 1.7km from the village.
‘The investigation is ongoing and inquiries are being carried out regularly,’ Blachon confirmed to BFMTV.
It comes nine months after French detectives said they believed the remains of Emile were likely preserved in a protected, almost sterile environment like a freezer before being moved and found.
Based on the decomposition of the remains, they believed they had been carefully preserved before being exposed to the open air, where they were found.
The analyses also suggested that the two-year-old’s skull was deposited only just before it was stumbled upon by a walker less than a mile from his grandparents’ house.
Police said they had already scoured the area during intensive searches.
According to the investigation, clothes found near the remains last April were not in a state of decomposition – which they believe suggested he did not get lost alone and did not die where his bones and clothes were found.
The skull was found with signs of ‘violent facial trauma’ on one side, Blachon said at the time.
The mystery surrounding Emile’s disappearance and death deepened as it emerged in March this year that the family’s Roman Catholic priest who baptised Emile before he went missing had ‘taken his own life’, according to reports.
Father Claude Gilliot, 85, is said to have died from a ‘massive overdose’ at his home in Aix-en-Provence, French media reported. Claims have been made that he fell out with the Vedovinis before his death.

+6
View gallery
French gendarmes take part in a search operation for missing Emile Soleil in July 2023

+6
View gallery
A gendarme stands outside the house of the grandparents of Emile Soleil on March 25

+6
View gallery
Aix-en-Provence prosecutor Jean-Luc Blachon addresses a press conference, March 27
Father Gilliot had frequently expressed his emotional angst during the saga.
The priest was once very close to Emile’s grandparents, along with two of their 10 adult children.
The Vedovini family are all devout Roman Catholics, and at one stage relied on Father Gilliot for their spiritual guidance, including celebrating Mass and hearing Confessions.
But they fell out after Father Gilliot provided a photo of Emile to the media, in an attempt to try and find the little boy.
News
AN ORDINARY MORNING BREAKFAST RUN IN SUBURBAN MELBOURNE TURNED INTO A DAYLIGHT H0RR0R — SH0CKING ATTACK CAUGHT ON CAMERA LEAVES COMMUNITY STUNNED
It was supposed to be an ordinary Saturday morning in Melbourne’s leafy suburbia. Instead, two Sydney assassins in black lay in wait, armed and ready to kill. Feared underworld bully Gavin Preston never knew what hit him. His mate Abbas Maghnie had a…
MAFS STAR BREAKS DOWN AFTER SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNT VANISHES AMID FASHION WEEK CONTROVERSY — ‘MY LIVELIHOOD IS GONE’ AS DRAMA TAKES ANOTHER SH0CKING TURN
Married At First Sight bride Bec Zacharia has made an emotional plea for her Instagram account to be reinstated after she claims she was mass-reported in the wake of a fashion scandal that erupted during Australian Fashion Week. The controversial reality star,…
TEEN OFFENDER KI-L-LED AFTER STOLEN UTE SMASHES INTO TREE IN H0RROR LATE-NIGHT CRASH — TWO OTHER TEENS NOW FIGHTING FOR THEIR LIVES AS SH0CKING DETAILS EMERGE
A notorious teen offender has died while two other teenagers are fighting for their lives after the allegedly stolen ute they were driving in veered off a highway and crashed into a tree. Police say an 18-year-old driver and his…
VIEWERS ARE BINGE-WATCHING THIS ‘BRILLIANT’ PERIOD DRAMA BEING CALLED THE BEST ARISTOCRATIC SAGA SINCE A TV LEGEND — AND ITS RETURN IS ALREADY SPARKING A NEW OBSESSION
Viewers are binge-watching Channel 5’s smash hit period drama, The Hardacres, which returned with a second season on Thursday night. The rags-to-riches tale, based on CL Skelton’s The Hardacre Saga novels, is set in 1890s Yorkshire and follows the titular Hardacre…
BBC’S NEW GREEK-SET DRAMA IS ALREADY BEING CALLED THE MUST-WATCH SERIES OF MAY — AN IDYLLIC HOLIDAY TURNS INTO A WEB OF SECRETS, TENSION AND A SHOCK NO ONE SAW COMING
Looking for a gripping new drama to binge-watch this month? You’re in luck because the BBC’s new eight-part series, Two Weeks in August, arrives on 23 May – and it looks seriously good. The BBC has unveiled a tension-filled trailer for…
NETFLIX VIEWERS CAN’T STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS MYSTERY THRI-LLER — IT DROPPED DAYS AGO, SHOT STRAIGHT UP THE CHARTS, AND THE ENDING HAS PEOPLE SPLIT IN HALF… BUT THE BIGGEST SHOCK? NOBODY SAW THAT FINAL TWIST COMING
Netflix viewers have been binge-watching Nemesis, the gritty new crime drama that landed on the streamer on Thursday. Told across eight episodes, the series stars Matthew Law (Abbott Elementary, Ahsoka) and Y’lan Noel (Lady in the Lake, Insecure), who play Detective Isaiah…
End of content
No more pages to load