Terrified fishermen have filmed the moment a five-metre-long great white shark menaced their small boat just off the coast of Rottnest Island shortly after the fatal attack on a devoted dad-of-two.
Steven Mattaboni, 38, died on Saturday morning after being mauled by a great white shark about 1km off the popular WA tourist hotspot.
He leaves behind a wife and two young daughters, one of whom was born just four months ago.
Mattaboni had been spearfishing with a group of friends at Horseshoe Reef when he was attacked.
Emergency services frantically worked to try and save his life but he died shortly after.
A number of sighting of great white sharks were reported on the WA government’s SharkSmart website around the same time of the attack.
On Sunday morning, fishermen in a spot close to where Steven was attacked filmed the moment a shark circled their small boat.
“That’s a big shark, man,” one boatie said.

Fisheries officers spent Sunday searching the area for the shark.
Steven’s wife earlier paid tribute to her husband, describing him as a devoted father who was fiercely loyal and endlessly generous.
“Our hearts are irrevocably broken by the loss of Steven,” she said.
“Steven was a devoted father to our two beautiful daughters. An avid fisherman and spearfisherman, who lived and breathed the ocean.”
“The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon.”
Steven’s mates pulled him from the water after he was bitten on both lower legs and rushed him back to shore, where paramedics worked frantically for about 30 minutes on the jetty in an attempt to save his life.

WA Police Sergeant Michael Wear described the incident as “quite horrific scenes for all involved”.
“His friends have actually witnessed the horrific event,” Wear said.
“The victim was on the surface at the time, about 20 metres away from the vessel.”
Authorities believe the attack involved a four-metre great white shark, while Surf Life Saving WA reported a five-metre white shark had been spotted about 80m offshore again on Sunday morning.
A search operation is set to resume on Sunday, with emergency services continuing to monitor the area.
Despite the renewed shark sighting and ongoing search activity, beaches on Rottnest Island have remained open, with authorities urging beachgoers and boaters to exercise caution and monitor shark warnings.
The grieving family thanked emergency services and first responders who “worked so tirelessly” to try to save him, while asking for privacy as they navigate the “incomprehensible loss”.

The death adds to a string of shark attacks reported around Australia this year.
In January, 12-year-old junior lifesaver Nico Antic died after a suspected bull shark attack at Shark Beach in Sydney’s east, while 27-year-old Andre de Ruyter lost a leg in an attack on Sydney’s Northern Beaches just days later.
Renewed calls for AI shark detection technology
The tragedy has renewed calls for advanced shark detection technology, with marine life ranger David “Sharky” Baxter telling Sunrise on Sunday the Rottnest attack was a “textbook perfect attack” by a large predator.
“He was spearfishing. That attracts predators around there, wrong place at the wrong time,” Baxter said.
Baxter, who was among the first responders to the fatal shark attack at Manly earlier this year, said autonomous AI-powered drones could help prevent future attacks at high-risk beaches.
“The system is fully AI-oriented,” he explained.
“If it spots something in the water that it’s been trained to identify as a potential target, it hovers above that target, activates its onboard alarm, and will stay above that, tracking that shape in the water.”
He said the technology could be deployed at popular beaches during peak periods, with each base unit estimated to cost between $20,000 and $25,000.
Australia recorded the world’s highest number of fatal shark attacks last year, according to the International Shark Attack File released in February.
SOURCE: https://7news.com.au/news/animals/great-white-shark-stalks-boat-off-the-coast-of-rottnest-island-in-days-following-attack-on-steven-mattaboni-c-22298254
News
“10 SH00TINGS. 2 TEENS ARRESTED. ONE SUSPECT STILL MISSING” — AUSTIN POLICE ISSUE URGENT UPDATE AS CITYWIDE INVESTIGATION EXPANDS
Authorities in Texas have arrested two of the three suspects in a series of shootings that took place across Austin over the weekend, leaving four people injured. Austin Police Department Chief Lisa Davis said during a press conference on Sunday, May 17,…
DON’T REDUCE HIM TO HIS WORST MOMENTS… — GRIEVING FAMILY DEFENDS TEEN K-I-L-L-ED IN H0RR0R CRASH AS ONLINE BACKLASH GROWS
A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has been remembered as a ‘precious’ and ‘beautiful young man’ by his family. Conroy, 14, died after the allegedly stolen vehicle…
SHE WAS PERFECTLY FINE… THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED IN MINUTES — AUSSIE FAMILY DEVASTATED AFTER 9-YEAR-OLD GIRL D-I-E-S FROM HIDDEN BRAIN CONDITION
A grieving family spent Mother’s Day saying goodbye to their only child after she unexpectedly suffered a rare and catastrophic brain bleed. Nine-year-old Hannah Teklic was ‘perfect’ as she danced in the kitchen and proudly posed with her school certificate…
THEY CAME TO AUSTRALIA FOR A NEW LIFE… THEN EVERYTHING TURNED INTO A NIGHTMARE — SON’S HEARTBREAKING COURT MESSAGE AFTER FATHER ST-ABS MOTHER TO DE-ATH
The teenage son of a husband who brutally murdered his wife and effectively orphaned their four kids has delivered a devastating speech to court. Jessie James Tumaliuan, 42, pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court of Victoria to murdering Czarina Gatbonton…
THE CREDITS ENDED… THEN Outlander DROPPED ONE FINAL TWIST THAT BROKE FANS’ HEARTS — DIANA GABALDON’S POST-CREDIT REVEAL SPARKS EMOTIONAL CHAOS
What To Know Outlander‘s series finale featured an extra special post-credit scene spotlighting author Diana Gabaldon. We take a look at the implications of her surprising appearance for the sake of Jamie and Claire’s story. The series finale of Outlander has arrived…
TOO EMOTIONAL TO BE MADE UP… — VIEWERS SHAKEN AFTER WATCHING Remarkably Bright Creatures ADAPTATION AND DISCOVERING THE TRUTH BEHIND ITS STORY
Source: Netflix Calling all mystery drama lovers! Netflix is coming in hot with a new film that’ll tickle your fancy, Reasonably Bright Creatures. Focusing on emotional connections, the film explores the life of a lonely widow who finds companionship with a…
End of content
No more pages to load