NSW Labor Premier Chris Minns has broken ranks with his own party to criticise the Albanese government over bracket creep, arguing the 47 per cent top marginal tax rate means high-income earners are effectively spending almost half the week working for the government.
Backing Coalition Opposition Leader’s Angus Taylor’s push to overhaul tax brackets, the Minns said families were being ‘stung’ by bracket creep.
He said higher state wage deals for nurses, paramedics and teachers were being eroded by rising tax burdens.
He called to his federal party colleagues to fix the tax brackets so that Aussies could pocket more of their hard-earned cash.
‘Whether it’s in this Budget or it’s in the future, we do need to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to hand more money back to working Australians,’ Minns said.
‘It’s a tough burden for a lot of families to bear.
Minns said Australians on the top tax rate were effectively handing almost half their working week to the government.
‘The top marginal rate of 47 per cent, as I said in parliament last week, you’re working Monday, Tuesday, and half of Wednesday for yourself, and then Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for the government.
‘In a general sense, whether it’s now or in the future, we do need to make sure we’re taking urgent action when it comes to personal income taxes because at the moment, a lot of working families are getting stung.’

NSW Premier Chris Minns has blasted bracket creep, arguing a 47 per cent top marginal tax rate leaves high-earning employees working almost half the week for the government

Anthony Albanese and Labor has been accused of becoming a ‘freeloader’ government
Minns didn’t weigh in on the Albanese government’s capital gains tax reforms.
His comments coincided with shadow federal treasurer Tim Wilson’s National Press Club address, where he accused Albanese and Labor of becoming a ‘freeloader’ government living off the hard work of Australians.
The latest attack comes days after Minns claimed federal Labor colleagues shortchanged his state in the Budget.
The Victorian Suburban Rail Loop was allocated $3.8 billion while other vital infrastructure projects in NSW and Queensland missed out.
News
AN ‘EXCELLENT’ NEW SPY DRAMA STARRING A DOWNTON ABBEY FAVOURITE IS BECOMING EVERYONE’S NEXT BINGE OBSESSION
Spy thriller fans, listen up! The gripping espionage series, The Agency, is returning to screens this June – and it’s worth adding to your summer watchlist. If you, like me, inhaled the second season of the BBC’s hit thriller The Night Manager and…
ALL WE HAD WAS A CAR BOOT OF KMART PLATES — HEARTBREAKING STRUGGLE OF KUMANJAYI LITTLE BABY’S FAMILY AS FUNDRAISING DISPUTE GROWS
Kumanjayi Little Baby’s family have been caught in two financial disputes over funds raised in the name of the five-year-old who was allegedly murdered last month. The alleged Anzac Day murder of the five-year-old girl in the Northern Territory sparked violent riots in…
FINAL F00TAGE FROM DOOMED MALDIVES DIVE MAY HOLD ANSWERS — B0DY CAMERAS RECOVERED AS INVESTIGATORS PIECE TOGETHER LAST MOMENTS
Footage taken on body cameras worn by a group of Italian divers who died while exploring deep-sea caves in the Maldives could reveal how their final moments unfolded. The group had attempted to explore caves at a depth of around 165ft…
‘She has vanished into thin air’: Bush tracker joins desperate search for suburban mum who disappeared on a walk two weeks ago – as expert spots worrying detail in CCTV footage
An expert bush tracker has joined the desperate search for a missing grandmother who ‘vanished into thin air’ two weeks ago, leaving her family to beg for answers. Rita-Marie Collin, 60, was last seen on Tuesday, May 5, leaving her…
EVICTION FEARS, A QUIET STREET AND A DEVASTATING DISCOVERY — MELBOURNE NEIGHBOUR REVEALS WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE COUPLE WERE FOUND DE-AD
A couple found dead inside a home in Melbourne‘s west in a suspected murder-suicide had been facing eviction. On Tuesday, police tape remained sprawled on a wooden fence outside the Melton Close property in Werribee, west of Melbourne. While it remains…
“MY BEAUTIFUL GIRLS ARE G0NE” — FATHER’S EMOTIONAL TRIBUTE AFTER THREE SISTERS FOUND DE-AD OFF BRIGHTON BEACH AS POLICE HUNT FOR ANSWERS
Three sisters whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach were named today for the first time. Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, died early last Wednesday morning after getting into trouble in the water. The…
End of content
No more pages to load