I’M DEVASTATED: CHRIS MINNS APOLOGISES AFTER SHOCKING ERROR OVER LILY HOOPER’S DE-ATH—HE SAYS HE QUESTIONED THE CLAIM BUT WAS TOLD IT WAS TRUE

Chris Minns was handed a note with information regarding Lily Hooper. (ABC)
“Is this accurate?”
They were the three words asked by NSW Premier Chris Minns after he was handed a handwritten note claiming missing hiker Lily Hooper had been found alive.
Minns was passed the note at a parliamentary hearing on Thursday and, after a staffer behind him confirmed that it was correct, he made an announcement.
“We’ve got some fantastic news, Mr Chair. Lily Hooper has been found alive,” Minns said.
“[She was] found in the bush with half a bottle of water with it, so that’s fantastic news.”
Within seconds, the misinformation had made its way across social media, with people rejoicing that she had been found.
Opposition leader Angus Taylor shared on Facebook it was “wonderful news” Lily had been found and said, “We hope you’re doing okay”. The post seen by Yahoo News has since been deleted.
Several leading media outlets had already incorrectly reported Lily Hooper had been found alive before Minns spoke in parliament.
Lily, who had disappeared eight days ago while hiking at Nattai National Park in the NSW Southern Highlands, had been found on Thursday morning. Tragically, she was found deceased.

Lily Hooper was lost for eight days in the Southern Highlands.
(Supplied)

SES crews and police gather on site during the search for Lily.
(NSW SES Wollondilly Unit)
Within minutes, Minns corrected his previous statement.
“I’ve got some terrible news,” he said.
“I apologise … it seems as if the earlier advice was wrong.
“Lily’s body has been found. She’d been found deceased.
“This is obviously devastating, and I’m profoundly sad for her family and for all those concerned. I apologise.”
The Premier’s office refused to comment on the sequence of events when contacted by Yahoo News.
Calls for an official apology from premier
The blunder sparked fury online, with Australians calling for him to make an official apology.
“Your announcement has caused immense harm. Announcements like that should not occur, and you needed to wait for confirmation from police,” one woman wrote.
NSW Police confirmed that the body of an 18-year-old woman was found on Thursday morning, with NSW Ambulance telling Yahoo News that paramedics were called to the scene at around 11.40am.
“While yet to be formally identified, the body is believed to be that of the 18-year-old woman,” police said in a statement.
NSW Police said the devastated family will not be making any public comment at this time.
Police will prepare a report for the Coroner.
SOURCE: https://au.news.yahoo.com/lily-hooper-chris-minns-devastated-after-wrongly-claiming-missing-hiker-was-alive-034918626.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALqzhHUynwGtCLy4FPnJE4gqXpcoWGYMbO6PJawrUW6uRAMMAWJw17_2M11zhO-zLf2pNAczVj-5F6ULs7u4GMwAL5qo0xTZQTEznLvbX7bP2oOskEAcZPpAO-AqBLgr4_8AUFdZDsa3YQDGVsKmWjgsDuadS3eH0HNN7vWQIXOS