Kumanjayi Little Baby’s family have been caught in two financial disputes over funds raised in the name of the five-year-old who was allegedly murdered last month.
The alleged Anzac Day murder of the five-year-old girl in the Northern Territory sparked violent riots in Alice Springs, while Australia mourned her death.
Drifter Jefferson Lewis, 47, was charged with her murder after a crowd of locals found him under a shipping container, five days after she vanished, and attacked him.
After her death, a GoFundMe appeal was launched to help the child’s mother – but her family say they have been locked out from accessing the money raised.
A second fund was also set up to help the family with funeral expenses but is now refusing to publicly reveal how much has been donated or handed over.
Now her devastated grandfather has posted a photograph showing the collection of Kmart essentials the family has been given to survive while the rows are resolved.
Kumanjayi was allegedly abducted from her bed at an Alice Springs Town Camp on April 25 and was found dead later that week in the dry Todd River.
The GoFundMe organised by the child’s aunties on behalf of her mother, Jacinta White, raised just $5,372, despite the hunt for Kumanjayi attracting global media attention.

+6
View gallery
Kumanjayi Little Baby was found dead on April 30 south of Alice Springs
The organisers have now revealed the money is in limbo with the fundraising website.
A second fund was organised by the SNAICC, which bills itself as the ‘National Voice for our Children’ and the peak body for Indigenous children.
It invited bank transfers to the fund to help with the funeral costs but has refused to disclose how much was donated, how it was spent and what has been given to the family.
‘We’re not releasing the figure,’ a spokesman told the Daily Mail. ‘We know the funds will go towards supporting a funeral.’
A GoFundMe spokesman added: ‘All donations remain safely held by our payment processors until our due diligence checks are completed.
‘Our Trust & Safety team is conducting our standard vetting and verification process for this fundraiser to ensure funds can be transferred safely to Kumanjayi Little Baby’s family.’
In early May, organisers shared a picture of Kumanjayi’s grandfather Robin Granites with a car boot full of goods, including Kmart plates and cutlery, blankets and cleaning products, saying money raised had gone towards the items.
‘(Mr Granites) has asked us to pass on his heartfelt appreciation,’ read a May 5 post.

+6
View gallery
Organisers shared a picture of the little girl’s grandfather Robin Granites with donated goods

+6
View gallery
The GoFundMe is still receiving donations despite the funds being held in limbo
‘He is pictured with some of the goods your generous donations have helped supply.
‘Family is gathering for cultural sorry business and support is still needed for food and goods such as blankets as the weather cools in Central Australia.’
But an insider told the Daily Mail the goods pictured had actually been donated locally, not purchased with fundraiser money.
On May 7, organisers urged people to stop donating, saying they could not access the funds and threatened legal action against GoFundMe.
‘At this time, we ask with heavy hearts that no more funds be raised through this website,’ the organiser posted.
‘We have not been able to access the GoFundMe, and this has caused further distress and hurt for our family during an already painful time.
‘We will not let this go – we will be taking this further and seeking legal action so that what was given in love can be used to lay our beautiful little Kumanjayi to rest the way they deserve.’
Despite this, the page remains open to donations, with one man donating $1,185 just days ago.

+6
View gallery
Northern Territory drifter Jefferson Lewis has been charged with the girl’s murder
A further update on May 8 thanked people who had given money.
‘On behalf of the aunties of Kumanjayi Little Baby, we want to thank each and every person from the bottom of our hearts,’ the organiser said.
‘Whether you donated, shared, spread awareness, prayed for us, or simply kept our family in your thoughts, thank you.
‘To my sister (Jacinta), I am so deeply sorry you had to endure a pain no mother should ever have to face.
‘Watching you carry this heartbreak has shattered all of us. We pray our beautiful baby girl is resting peacefully with our ancestors, wrapped in love and protected forever.
‘Her little life touched so many hearts and she will always be loved, remembered, and mourned by our family and community.’

+6
View gallery
When Lewis was arrested, it sparked violent riots in Alice Springs

+6
View gallery
Hundreds of people searched for the missing girl before her body was found
Six child protection reports were made about Kumanjayi shortly before her death – but none were investigated, The Australian revealed.
The Northern Territory’s Department of Children and Families received the reports about the five-year-old living in a ‘dangerous environment’ from mid-March until two days before she disappeared.
The latest report was in connection to an alleged aggravated assault on the little girl’s mother on April 22. Her father was charged and remains in custody.
Police responded to two of the reports in March and the other four in April, with sources claiming officers were frustrated by a lack of action by child services.
It’s understood Kumanjayi Little Baby’s mother was given referrals to support services but authorities had trouble staying in touch with her.
The five-year-old was never removed from her mother’s care.
News
FINAL F00TAGE FROM DOOMED MALDIVES DIVE MAY HOLD ANSWERS — B0DY CAMERAS RECOVERED AS INVESTIGATORS PIECE TOGETHER LAST MOMENTS
Footage taken on body cameras worn by a group of Italian divers who died while exploring deep-sea caves in the Maldives could reveal how their final moments unfolded. The group had attempted to explore caves at a depth of around 165ft…
‘She has vanished into thin air’: Bush tracker joins desperate search for suburban mum who disappeared on a walk two weeks ago – as expert spots worrying detail in CCTV footage
An expert bush tracker has joined the desperate search for a missing grandmother who ‘vanished into thin air’ two weeks ago, leaving her family to beg for answers. Rita-Marie Collin, 60, was last seen on Tuesday, May 5, leaving her…
EVICTION FEARS, A QUIET STREET AND A DEVASTATING DISCOVERY — MELBOURNE NEIGHBOUR REVEALS WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE COUPLE WERE FOUND DE-AD
A couple found dead inside a home in Melbourne‘s west in a suspected murder-suicide had been facing eviction. On Tuesday, police tape remained sprawled on a wooden fence outside the Melton Close property in Werribee, west of Melbourne. While it remains…
“MY BEAUTIFUL GIRLS ARE G0NE” — FATHER’S EMOTIONAL TRIBUTE AFTER THREE SISTERS FOUND DE-AD OFF BRIGHTON BEACH AS POLICE HUNT FOR ANSWERS
Three sisters whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach were named today for the first time. Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, died early last Wednesday morning after getting into trouble in the water. The…
THEN WE HEARD THE SH0TS… EVERYONE STARTED RUNNING — WITNESSES RECOUNT CHAOTIC MOMENTS AFTER DE-ADLY CANLEY HEIGHTS SH00TING
A man has died and four others are in a serious condition following an alleged shooting in Sydney’s south-west overnight. The 28-year-old man died at Liverpool Hospital shortly after presenting there with multiple wounds. He is yet to be formally identified….
SH0CK NEW COURT TWIST… — AUSTRALIA’S YOUNGEST CONVICTED MU-RDE-RER ADMITS TO FURTHER OFFENCES AS CASE REIGNITES NATIONAL DEBATE
A boast by Australia’s youngest convicted murderer that police would never find what was on his phone led to his re-arrest for downloading sexually violent images and child abuse material. The man, known for legal reasons as SLD, spent almost…
End of content
No more pages to load