NASCAR driver Kyle Busch’s cause of death revealed
The racing pro died after his severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, his family said in a statement.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/Kyle-Busch-Darlington-Raceway-052326-5c177a68f8404a7480badd3c8bae4aae.jpg)
Kyle Busch in March 2026.Credit: David Jensen/Getty
Kyle Busch’s family has revealed the legendary NASCAR driver’s cause of death.
The racing pro died on May 21 at the age of 41.
He died after his severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, his family said in a statement.
Two days after NASCAR champion Kyle Busch died at 41, new details about his medical condition have emerged, including the racing pro’s cause of death.

“The medical evaluation provided to the Busch Family concluded that severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications,” the Busch family said in a statement to the Associated Press on Saturday. “The family asks for continued understanding and privacy during this difficult time.”
Dakota Hunter, vice president of Kyle Busch Companies, said in a news release that the family received the medical evaluation on Saturday.
On Wednesday, someone called 911 to report “an individual with shortness of breath” who was “very hot” and “coughing up some blood,” according to audio obtained by TMZ Sports. The caller reported that the man, Busch, was awake on the bathroom floor of a training facility in Concord, N.C., and that he asked for an ambulance to enter the racing facility with its sirens off.
Busch died later at a hospital in Charlotte, N.C., while “undergoing treatment,” his family said in a statement.
After his death, his family, NASCAR, and the Richard Childress Racing team Busch had been part of since 2023, gave a statement to Entertainment Weekly. “Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch,” they said. “A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled, and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.”
The statement added that Busch’s “sharp wit and competitive spirit” created a “deep emotional connection” with this fans, deemed the Rowdy Nation, and that with his death, “NASCAR lost a giant of the sport.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/Kyle-Busch-Dover-Motor-Speedway-052326-ba39ae02199341cea68acf77d023fb5e.jpg)
Kyle Busch on May 15, 2026.Meg Oliphant/Getty
Sepsis occurs when the body has an extreme, overactive response to an infection, causing the immune system to damage its own tissues and organs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. While the immune system usually releases chemicals to fight off pathogens like bacteria or viruses, sepsis triggers an intense response that causes inflammation and blood clots and makes blood vessels leak.
At the time of his death, Busch had been competing in his 22nd full-time NASCAR season. He finished first in more than 200 races, giving him the most victories across the sport’s three national series, and he won the Cup Series title in 2015 and 2019. His last win was in 2023.
Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with our EW Dispatch newsletter.
NASCAR legends like Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. paid tribute to the driver after the news of his death.
“This is a devastating loss and one that is hard for the NASCAR community to process,” Gordon posted. “Kyle was a fierce competitor who demanded the very best from himself each time he put on the helmet.”
Earnhardt Jr. wrote that Busch was “one of the greatest drivers in NASCAR history.”
Busch is survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton and Lennix.
News
CHILLING DETAILS EMERGED… — Netflix star Stewart McLean, known for Virgin River, has tragically been found d3ad after going missing last week, leaving fans shocked and heartbroken.
Netflix star Stewart McLean, known for Virgin River, has been found dead after going missing last week. On Friday, Canada’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) confirmed that the 45-year-old actor’s remains had been discovered in the Lions Bay area. McLean was last…
HARRY WANTS TO CRASH THE WEDDING…— Prince Harry is reportedly “pushing hard” to attend Peter Phillips’ upcoming wedding, with insiders claiming the Duke sees it as a rare chance to reunite with members of the Royal Family.
Prince Harry is said to be ready to reunite with the royals Reportedly, Prince Harry is determined to reunite Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet with the royal family this summer and insiders claim his cousin Peter Phillips could play a…
SHE THOUGHT THAT CHAPTER OF ROYAL SCANDAL WAS FINALLY OVER… — Queen Camilla is reportedly “furious” and deeply mortified after fresh headlines linked her name to explosive new claims involving Sarah Ferguson and Sean “Diddy” Combs.
Who knew Camilla would be discussed in the same breathe as Diddy!? Queen Camilla is reportedly deeply upset over bombshell claims linking Sarah Ferguson to disgraced rapper Sean Combs, also known as Diddy. The allegations, which have sent shockwaves through royal…
SALLY FIELD MAY HAVE JUST DELIVERED THE MOST CHAOTIC, FUNNIEST, AND STRANGELY EMOTIONAL LATE-NIGHT INTERVIEW OF THE YEAR!
In a retrospective interview that has instantly been branded “the most ‘gut-wrenching’ and authentic takedown of the ‘unshakable actor’ myth in history,” Sally Field has effectively “ripped the mask off” the boundary between professional stoicism and absolute emotional collapse. Speaking with late-night titan Stephen…
JUST MINS AGO — Prince William has unexpectedly shared a surprising update about Prince George’s future schooling during a live radio appearance, instantly sparking debate among royal watchers.
Prince William gave an insight into the “chaotic” school run while chatting on Heart Breakfast this morning, and revealed that his eldest child, Prince George, doesn’t always stay at home. The Prince of Wales revealed that the 12-year-old often boards at Lambrook…
THEY’RE DESPERATE FOR MONEY..! — Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing fresh scrutiny after reports claimed the Sussexes made a controversial “money-making” move shortly before insiders say “all the wheels came off” behind the scenes.
Royal Family LIVE: Meghan and Harry’s ‘money making’ move before ‘all the wheels came off’ ‘This is the year when her brand has to really work, otherwise all wheels come off,’ according to a royal commentator. Duke and Duchess of…
End of content
No more pages to load