Netflix star Stewart McLean, known for Virgin River, has been found dead after going missing last week.
On Friday, Canada’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) confirmed that the 45-year-old actor’s remains had been discovered in the Lions Bay area.
McLean was last seen at his residence in the small residential community in British Columbia on Friday, May 15, about 30 minutes outside Squamish and 45 minutes from Vancouver.
A missing persons report was filed three days later, with McLean described by investigators as 5ft 10 in, 150 Ibs, with grey hair and blue eyes, as a search got underway.
Now, police are investigating a possible murder, with the Squamish Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) stating that they had transitioned the ongoing missing person investigation over to the homicide team.
Get personalised updates on all things Netflix
Wake up to find news on your TV shows in your inbox every morning with Metro’s TV Newsletter.
Sign up to our newsletter and then select your show in the link we’ll send you so we can get TV news tailored to you.
‘As the investigation continues to unfold, homicide investigators are working to collect and analyse evidence, review CCTV footage and conduct interviews to build a timeline of Mr McLean’s activities prior to May 15, 2026,’ IHIT said in a statement.

The actor went missing a week ago (Picture: Squamish RCMP)
‘We are pursuing all available leads as we work to find answers for the family, friends and loved ones of Mr McLean.’
His disappearance is believed to be an ‘isolated incident’.
Authorities are yet to confirm if there are any suspects or theories regarding what happened.
Upon issuing confirmation of McLean’s death, his talent agency paid tribute, calling him their ‘beloved client’ and expressing ‘great sadness’ at saying goodbye to him.
‘I was fortunate to have worked with Stew for more than 10 years,’ said agent Jodi Caplan in a statement on Facebook.
‘He was always such a pleasure to deal with — dedicated, professional, eager, and endlessly funny.

His talent agent penned an emotional statement (Picture: Facebook)
‘Many casting directors have reached out to share their condolences with Stew’s family and with our agency, and every message says the same thing: what a truly great guy he was and how deeply he will be missed. Rest in peace, Stew. xo’
Fans of his work have also sent their condolences to McLean’s family via social media, with @harry_brig writing on X: ‘A very sad and developing situation. Hoping the investigation brings clarity and answers for everyone involved, and condolences to those who knew and worked with him.’
@growviczol added: ‘praying for his family during this time’.
McLean had been working steadily as an actor since 2015, making his debut with an uncredited role in the student film Snow Falcon.
As well as Virgin River, which marked his final role in March this year, the Edmonton-born star was known for Arrow (2012), Beyond (2016), and Travelers (2016).
Additionally, he worked on short films, such as Buddy Cops (2015), Detective Williams (2016), Uniforms (2017), and Return to Sender (2018).
McLean was a producer, too, having worked on the TV series CLOUD Van-Demic! and Please Look Away Vol. 2.
News
HARRY WANTS TO CRASH THE WEDDING…— Prince Harry is reportedly “pushing hard” to attend Peter Phillips’ upcoming wedding, with insiders claiming the Duke sees it as a rare chance to reunite with members of the Royal Family.
Prince Harry is said to be ready to reunite with the royals Reportedly, Prince Harry is determined to reunite Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet with the royal family this summer and insiders claim his cousin Peter Phillips could play a…
SHE THOUGHT THAT CHAPTER OF ROYAL SCANDAL WAS FINALLY OVER… — Queen Camilla is reportedly “furious” and deeply mortified after fresh headlines linked her name to explosive new claims involving Sarah Ferguson and Sean “Diddy” Combs.
Who knew Camilla would be discussed in the same breathe as Diddy!? Queen Camilla is reportedly deeply upset over bombshell claims linking Sarah Ferguson to disgraced rapper Sean Combs, also known as Diddy. The allegations, which have sent shockwaves through royal…
SALLY FIELD MAY HAVE JUST DELIVERED THE MOST CHAOTIC, FUNNIEST, AND STRANGELY EMOTIONAL LATE-NIGHT INTERVIEW OF THE YEAR!
In a retrospective interview that has instantly been branded “the most ‘gut-wrenching’ and authentic takedown of the ‘unshakable actor’ myth in history,” Sally Field has effectively “ripped the mask off” the boundary between professional stoicism and absolute emotional collapse. Speaking with late-night titan Stephen…
JUST MINS AGO — Prince William has unexpectedly shared a surprising update about Prince George’s future schooling during a live radio appearance, instantly sparking debate among royal watchers.
Prince William gave an insight into the “chaotic” school run while chatting on Heart Breakfast this morning, and revealed that his eldest child, Prince George, doesn’t always stay at home. The Prince of Wales revealed that the 12-year-old often boards at Lambrook…
THEY’RE DESPERATE FOR MONEY..! — Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are facing fresh scrutiny after reports claimed the Sussexes made a controversial “money-making” move shortly before insiders say “all the wheels came off” behind the scenes.
Royal Family LIVE: Meghan and Harry’s ‘money making’ move before ‘all the wheels came off’ ‘This is the year when her brand has to really work, otherwise all wheels come off,’ according to a royal commentator. Duke and Duchess of…
SHE LEFT THOSE POOR GIRLS BEHIND…— Camp Mystic’s top medical officer is now facing explosive accusations after newly revealed documents allegedly showed she abandoned young campers during the catastrophic Texas floods that claimed the lives of 25 children.
Texas officials have faulted Camp Mystic’s top medical officer for abandoning campers in the hours before 25 young girls and two camp counselors were killed in a devastating flood. The Texas Board of Nursing announced the finding on Tuesday in an…
End of content
No more pages to load